PROFESSIONAL PRATICE LEADER – SOCIAL WORKApply Now Job ID 1249575 Date posted 05/29/2019
Facility :VERNON JUBILEE HOSPITAL
Status :PERMANENT FULL TIME
Interior Health is seeking a permanent Professional Practice Leader, Social Work in Vernon, BC.
This leadership position is accountable for the administration, supervision, planning and budgeting of the assigned Social Work departments. Reporting to the Allied Health Director on administrative matters the Professional Practice Leader, Social Work is responsible for monitoring and managing budgets, workload, quality, labour relations and human resource issues. The incumbent is responsible for interpreting and implementing all organizational regulations, policies and procedures as they apply to Allied Health services in the area of Social Work for Vernon and the North Okanagan.
This position also provides leadership and representation for the Social Work profession in their respective areas (i.e. Acute, Long Term Care and Home Health Care services). The position is responsible for ensuring that standards for the Social Work profession are consistent with regulatory/accrediting body standards and relevant legislation. This position contributes to the development of the profession throughout the health authority via the practice council, as well as advises the Allied Health Director on professional practice issues and other matters regarding the Social Work services.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Monitors, evaluates and makes decisions on the effective distribution of all resources and their impact on services.
2. Responsible for the financial management of the department including monitoring and managing budgets and reporting of expenditures including investigating and reducing or managing variances. Regularly reviews financial reports and takes action to ensure the efficient and effective use of funds. Makes recommendations to the Allied Health Director regarding budgetary requirements.
3. Identifies the need for capital equipment including the formulation of technical justification for capital equipment, preparation of capital equipment submissions, and equipment purchase recommendations in collaboration with the Allied Health Director.
4. Responsible for the supervision, direction and performance of assigned Allied Health staff.
5. Recruits, short lists, interviews and hires department staff. Mentors staff and provides input into department and Allied Health recruitment and succession planning
6. Evaluates employee performance including preparation and administration of performance appraisals. Disciplines staff up to the point of termination in consultation with the Allied Health Director and Human Resources.
7. Directs the operation of the department by scheduling and coordinating staff assignments. Ensures adequate staffing levels by performing duties such as preparing staff work schedules/rotations and reviewing and approving leave/vacation requests and authorizing overtime in accordance with collective agreements.
8. Prepares position descriptions for all staff classifications in the department, reviews and updates as necessary.
9. Compiles required organizational information including statistics and reports
10. Ensures a process is in place for routine and formalized maintenance programs to be carried out on all department equipment. Maintains and controls an inventory of equipment and supplies.
11. Manages and monitors non-wage supplies of the department. Delegates this responsibility to support staff as appropriate.
12. Receives, reviews, and approves education requests from allied health staff as required. (in consultation with the allied health director)
13. Plans / coordinates educational activities for the allied health staff in the department.
14. Ensures that the department is represented and/or provides input on appropriate internal and external committees or projects as required.
15. Coordinates student placements in collaboration with outside learning institutions. Assists in the orientation of new staff.
16. Maintains good working relationships with Allied Health staff and interdisciplinary team.
17. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Provides leadership to the assigned Allied Health profession.
2. Develops, implements, and monitors quality aspects of the Allied Health Service such as quality assurance, risk management and utilization review.
3. Formulates administrative and professional objectives, standards, processes and procedures in consultation with Allied Health Staff Director and relevant interdisciplinary team members.
4. Develops and fosters effective relationships with colleagues and peers within Interior Health, and external agencies, professional and licensing bodies. Maintains awareness of new approaches to care and service delivery in the Allied Health practice area. Advocates changes in practice that have the potential to benefit patient/client care, service delivery, and / or the organization.
5. Ensures the development, implementation and evaluation of an educational program for Allied Health staff to address educational needs related to professional practice. Ensures communication systems are in place for staff to be informed of educational and research programs as it relates to specific client populations. Approves Travel / Education Expense Reimbursement (TEER) requests within budget and in accordance with IH policies.
6. Ensures Allied Health staff develop client centered treatment plans in consultation with the client/patient/family and the interdisciplinary team. Ensures staff record assessments, interventions and progress and communicates findings to the interdisciplinary team. Liaises with community agencies as needed.
7. As required provides services and care to patients/clients as a part of the interdisciplinary team.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position offers the opportunity to work in a growing field as we are in the very early stages of looking at transitioning to primary care transformation and community care programs. We also enjoy a strong professional network throughout Interior Health that is well integrated and connected professionally.
We offer excellent benefits, relocation package, and opportunities to grow your leadership skills. Interior Health is an organization where you have room to grow in a place where life outside of work is just as important to us as it is to you.
Community Profile: Vernon is a major vacation destination for those flocking to the Okanagan Valley and is one of those rare cities where unsurpassed beauty and an abundance of recreational and cultural activities combine to create an exceptional quality of life enjoyed by residents and visitors alike. The rocky, forested headlands and sheltered, sandy bays await you on the east side of Okanagan Lake, just a few miles south of Vernon. This is an area of undulating bench land dominated by stands of Ponderosa pine and Douglas fir, set between the rolling hills of the Thompson Plateau to the west and the peaks of the Monashee Mountains to the east.
• Completion of a recognized degree from an accredited program in the assigned Allied Health profession;
• Recent five (5) years' clinical practice including a minimum of two (2) years’ Supervisory or Management experience in the assigned Allied Health field; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
• Current Registration with the College or current Certification with the appropriate Association/Body for the assigned Allied Health profession/discipline as applicable.
• Valid BC Driver’s license.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth