FOOD SERVICE SUPERVISOR IApply Now Job ID 1289248 Date posted 07/31/2019
Facility :VERNON JUBILEE HOSPITAL
The Food Service Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the Food Service operations in the designated facilities. The Food Service Supervisor performs duties such as: supervising designated staff, ordering food and supplies, performing other departmental administrative duties, and/or visiting patients to obtain diet related information in regards to nutritional and therapeutic diet needs.
This is a Casual opportunity. Casual means there are no guaranteed hours and work requirements can vary from 0 - 37.5 hours per week.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Supervises designated staff by scheduling and co-ordinating work assignments, determining related training and orientation requirements, providing feedback to employees and participating in the formal performance evaluation of staff with the Manager. Contacts scheduling office for relief staff as required
2. In consultation with the Clinical Dietician, checks and writes therapeutic diets according to prescription, departmental designated diet manuals, departmental policies, meal plans and Dietitian’s specifications; completes nutrient intake calculations.
3. Estimates food requirements, orders and receives supplies and resolves discrepancies with suppliers, ensures organizations contractual purchasing obligations are met, and maintains inventory controls.
4. Visits patients/residents and/or family members to obtain and exchange diet-related information. Reviews the medical records and liaises with other staff to obtain necessary information. Charts nutritional activities in the patients/ residents medical records.
5. Conducts patient satisfaction surveys, evaluates feedback and makes recommendations based on comments received.
6. Monitors expenditures for assigned areas; makes recommendations regarding budget allocations and resolves discrepancies for the assigned areas.
7. Evaluates meals being served to ensure established standards of quality and quantity are maintained; oversees the preparation, portioning and/or servicing of meals; checks all menu items prior to serving for accuracy and carries out other related duties. Performs cooking and/or food service worker duties as required.
8. Ensures safety and sanitation practices and procedures are adhered to by utilizing checklists and other audit tools; reports any problems in accordance with established procedures.
9. Oversees and updates standards and procedures for assigned areas by reviewing and adapting existing standards to ensure that industry standards are met. Investigates and reports accidents and injuries and refers to the Coordinator for corrective action.
10. Monitors the storage of food and related items; establishes and ensures maintenance of food rotations in order to minimize spoilage and waste.
11. Performs recommended audits to ensure that established food service and quality assurance standards are met. Participates in recommended departmental and interdepartmental meetings as required.
12. Assists in co-ordinating and maintaining facility in-house services by coordinating cafeteria services including pricing, staffing allotment, coordinating closure of cafeteria and securing money upon closure. Caters to Interior Health meetings, and other related duties.
13. Coordinates meal preparation, pricing and other related duties for community based services such as Meals on Wheels.
14. Reports inoperable equipment or damaged, unsafe equipment; assesses need and writes maintenance repair requisitions as required. Keeps related records.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Graduation from a recognized two-year program in Food Service Supervision, plus one year's recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities:
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
Ability to deal with others effectively
Ability to supervise
Ability to organize work
Ability to operate related equipment
Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth