OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST – DIVERSE, RURAL PRACTICEApply Now Job ID 1470802 Date posted 11/27/2020
Facility :MERRITT S CENT HEALTH CTR
Status :PERMANENT PART TIME (0.90 FTE)
Interior Health has a permanent, part-time opportunity open for an experienced Occupational Therapist to provide Acute, Long Term Care, and Community Care occupational therapy services to our clients in the Merritt and surrounding areas (including Lillooet).
The Long Term Care Services will also support our short term care clients temporarily staying in Merritt’s Gillis House. This position offers the Occupational Therapist an opportunity to make a difference in clients’ life by helping with the recovery process during a respite stay and ensuring they will do well once back at home in the community. This is a full spectrum Occupational Therapy position and we are seeking a therapist with experience in the practice areas outlined above as well as excellent generalist skills. The successful Occupational Therapist will be able work interdependently as part of a team consisting of a Physiotherapist, Rehabilitation Assistants, and Nursing staff.
Acute services will be minimal and based out of the Merritt Health Centre. Community services will involve the Occupational Therapist supporting clients in their homes. Scheduled days are Monday through Fridays.
We offer an exceptional employer-paid benefits package including dental and prescription coverage, group life, and extensive extended health plan, plus up to 18 days’ vacation after the first year of employment. In addition, a comprehensive Pension Plan is included for all permanent employees. Relocation Allowance package may be offered with position.
We are seeking a motivated, team player, with ability to be a leader within the role and the team. If you are seeking a unique opportunity in a rural community and willingness to work with a caseload consisting primarily of the frail elderly, we would love to hear from you! Apply online and our Recruiter will be available to speak with you further.
Community Profile: Nestled in the heart of the Nicola Valley, Merritt (population: 7,000) offers an active and unique lifestyle amid the incredible scenery of British Columbia's Southern Interior. Located 45 minutes from Kamloops, Merritt's rolling hills and cattle ranches, resort lodgings and fishing lakes combine a rich culture and history with outdoor adventure. Merritt is a centralized hub in the Southern Interior, a short drive from the Okanagan and Coastal regions.
** This posting is for a position at a facility covered by the Provincial Health Officer's Single Site Order and select applicant(s) must comply with the requirements of the order**
Education, Training and Experience:
• Graduation from a recognized occupational therapy program
• Current registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia (COTBC).
• Practice specific requirements and experience in programs applicable to practice area.
• Valid BC Driver’s license where required.
Skills and Abilities:
• Assessment and Treatment: Demonstrated ability to complete initial and ongoing client assessments (clinical and diagnostic reasoning) through appropriate/prescribed technical, therapeutic, safety type interventions.
• Teaching: Ability to teach clients and others both one-on-one and in groups.
• Knowledge Integration: Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
• Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff and members of the interdisciplinary team using verbal, written, computer communication means. Ability to effectively apply conflict resolution skills..
• Critical Thinking: Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve and make decisions effectively. Applies the problem solving process demonstrating critical thinking and decision making skills using a systems approach.
• Human Caring and Relationship Centered Practice: Ability to promote client-focused care that demonstrates care for and with clients and significant others, sensitivity to diverse cultures and preferences, client advocacy and social justice concerns.
• Management: Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and establish priorities. Manages time and resources, implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team and collaborates across disciplines.
• Leadership: Promotes staff morale, engagement and empowerment. Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovation, implementation of IH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self and others.
• Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
• Equipment: Demonstrated computer skills including the use of Meditech and Windows based programs. Demonstrated data analysis skills including appropriate data analysis and reporting tools. Demonstrated ability in the use of e-mail and word processing. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health News
Learn more about News@IH by reading our online blog.