YOUTH CARE COUNSELLORApply Now Job ID 1356239 Date posted 01/14/2020
Facility :KELOWNA GENERAL HOSPITAL
Kelowna General Hospital and Tertiary Mental Health Services are hiring a casual Youth Care Counsellor to join our team on the Adolescent Psychiatric Unit (APU) to provide one-on-one care for youth at risk needing constant observation on the unit.
We are seeking applicants with a relevant Bachelor’s degree that includes course content relevant to adolescent mental health as well as two years’ experience working with adolescent mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, psychosis, etc.
The Adolescent Psychiatric Unit is a tertiary mental health, psychiatric unit for youth between ages 12 to 17 where the average length of stay is 7 to 21 days. There are eight beds staffed with a comprehensive, multidisciplinary team offering psycho-educational programming. A collaborative problem solving philosophy and model of practice is utilized.
The Youth Care Counsellor works collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team within an evidence based model of care, to support all aspects of therapeutic care of patients with behavioural, emotional, and psychiatric problems and their families/caregivers. Under the direction of the Manager (or designate), this position is responsible for maintaining a physically and emotionally safe therapeutic milieu, providing activities and care appropriate to the adolescent’s stage of development, supportive counselling, and psychosocial assessment, including working with families/caregivers in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures.
Days of work for this position are Thursday and Friday; shift types are days; shift times are from 09:00 to 20:00 hours.
Join our supportive and cohesive team at Kelowna General Hospital and make a difference in someone’s life. Apply Today!
Education, Training and Experience:
Baccalaureate in a recognized health related discipline (such as Child and Youth Care, Arts with a Major in Psychology or Clinical Counselling) that includes course content relevant to Adolescent Mental Health (such as Adolescent Development, Fundamentals of Clinical Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, and Group and Family Processes).
Two (2) years’ recent, related experience working in an adolescent setting.
Appropriate valid BC driver’s license.
Skills and Abilities:
• Broad knowledge of the normal growth and development of adolescents.
• Basic knowledge of mental health disorders in adolescents.
• Broad knowledge of Collaborative Problem Solving.
• Broad Knowledge of Attachment and Self-Regulation Theory and Strategies.
• Broad knowledge of and demonstrated ability in recognizing and managing transference and counter-transference.
• Broad knowledge of and demonstrated ability in engaging and supporting individuals, milieu, and group processes.
• Demonstrated initiative in providing and participating in age appropriate activities.
• Demonstrated ability to problem solve, adjust to new or unexpected events, and to deal effectively with conflict situations.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated ability to organize work.
• Demonstrated ability to apply computer skills and operate related equipment.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth