RESPIRATORY THERAPISTApply Now Job ID 1440941 Date posted 09/04/2020
Facility :KELOWNA GENERAL HOSPITAL
Interior Health’s Kelowna General Hospital invites applications for the role of Respiratory Therapist in acute care. KGH is looking for knowledgeable Respiratory Therapists with experience delivering Respiratory Therapy services and programs related to performing respiratory care in a multi-disciplinary setting to clients with a variety of illnesses/diseases including, but not limited to acute and/or chronic cardio-respiratory illnesses or pathologies.
As a member of the KGH Respiratory Therapy team, you will work independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team within a client and family centred care model. In this role the Respiratory Therapist assesses and prepares clients for treatment or therapy by reviewing and clarifying physician's requests, obtaining various diagnostic test results and interviewing client/family in order to gather and compile pertinent information for use in planning client care, and plan client treatment using current technologies and therapies and ensures diagnostic/therapeutic procedures are consistent and correct for the client's condition. Reporting to the Professional Practice Leader you will draw upon your ability to provide airway management including, but not limited to, endotracheal intubation, tracheostomy care, tube changes, tracheal bronchial hygiene, and extubation; and administer therapy and treatment modalities by performing duties such as selecting, setting up and calibrating invasive and non-invasive monitoring equipment and integrating equipment to the client in preparation for procedure.
Work will be available on a short-notice, on-call bases and/or blocks of shifts pre-scheduled to relieve leaves of absences. Shifts will be Days and/or Evenings. Casual employment means work requirements can vary between Zero and 37.5 hours per week. Casual employees receive 12.6% of their straight time pay, exclusive of all premiums, in lieu of scheduled vacations and statutory holidays. Upon completion of 180 hours, there is option of purchasing medical, dental and extended health benefit plans.
Facility Description: Our state of the art Centennial Building opened in 2017 and boasts a total of 360,000 square feet, expanded Emergency and Ambulatory Care Departments, modern Operating Rooms and a rooftop helipad. KGH is also a teaching centre for the Southern Medical Program affiliated with University of British Columbia (UBC). With the state-of-the-art Interior Heart & Surgical Centre, new medical inpatient units in the Centennial Building, dedicated psychiatry units for youth and adults, a modern maternity ward, enhanced laboratory and clinical departments (i.e. Dr. Walter Anderson Building), and an academic campus that serves as a satellite for UBC Medical School, KGH has become one of BC’s leading healthcare centres.
Community Profile: Kelowna’s sunny weather, spectacular scenery, lakes, canyons and many attractions are the perfect combination for those who enjoy an active lifestyle and an urban setting. Kelowna residents and visitors enjoy a vibrant cultural life including a professional symphony, annual festivals, and art exhibits. Downtown Kelowna offers a spectacular landscape of lake, mountains and parks, with a wide range of cafés, continental and ethnic restaurants and noisy nightclubs to choose from as well as unique shops and boutiques, heritage buildings and modern architecture, art galleries and museums, music and live theatre, and even a symphony and ballet. Golf courses, orchards, pristine lakes and numerous surrounding vineyards make Kelowna (and nearby West Kelowna and Winfield/Lake Country) a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. World-class skiing and snowboarding is only a short drive away at Big White – where Canada’s largest ski-in/ski-out village offers a host of winter activities, fine dining and shopping.
Education, Training and Experience:
• Graduation from a recognized Respiratory Therapy program.
• Current certification with the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT) and eligible for registration with the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT) and CSRT.
• Current valid BC Driver’s License.
• One to 2 years of recent acute care experience.
Skills and Abilities:
• Assessment and Treatment: Demonstrated ability to complete initial and ongoing client assessments (clinical and diagnostic reasoning) through appropriate/prescribed technical, therapeutic, safety type interventions.
• Teaching: Ability to teach clients and others both one-on-one and in groups.
• Knowledge Integration: Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
• Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff and members of the interdisciplinary team using verbal, written, computer communication means. Ability to effectively apply conflict resolution skills.
• Critical Thinking: Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve and make decisions effectively. Applies the problem solving process demonstrating critical thinking and decision making skills using a systems approach.
• Human Caring and Relationship Centered Practice: Ability to promote client-focused care that demonstrates care for and with clients and significant others, sensitivity to diverse cultures and preferences, client advocacy and social justice concerns.
• Management: Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and establish priorities. Manages time and resources, implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team and collaborates across disciplines.
• Leadership: Promotes staff morale, engagement and empowerment. Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovation, implementation of IH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self and others.
• Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
• Equipment: Demonstrated computer skills including the use of Meditech and Windows based programs. Demonstrated data analysis skills including appropriate data analysis and reporting tools. Demonstrated ability in the use of e-mail and word processing. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health News
Learn more about News@IH by reading our online blog.