RECREATION THERAPY WORKERApply Now Job ID 1275132 Date posted 06/28/2019
We are looking for patient focused team player to fill a casual Recreation Therapy Worker position at Cottonwoods Care Facility in Kelowna. If you are experienced in Recreation Therapy, have your Class IV Driver’s License, exceptional communication skills and enjoy working within a fast-paced team environment, apply today to join our team at Cottonwoods.
The facility embodies a resident-centered philosophy designed to support residents’ choices, help people function at their highest level, and provide the best quality of life possible. It is a one-storey building on 11 acres, with 153 residential, 60 short-stay and 2 respite beds.
In accordance with the vision and values of the organization and working within a client centered model, the Recreation Therapy Worker works as a member of the interdisciplinary team and is responsible for the implementation and evaluation of an established Recreation Therapy Program.
SOME TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Carries out established individual or group leisure/recreation therapy programs such as arts, socio-cultural events, crafts, sports, music, cooking, gardening, and exercises as directed; sets up and organizes furnishings and equipment for programs and/or special events, porters residents to programs, teaches the techniques of related programs to residents, and oversees the residents participation and reports problems/changes to supervisor.
• Carries out resident programs outside of the facility and accompanies resident; checks that the resident has appropriate clothing and necessary funds for the outing, and confirms details of the program with the nursing staff/Supervisor or therapist.
• Leads individual one to one sessions, groups, and large special events within the established recreation therapy program, adapts programs to meet the physical, social, cognitive, spiritual, emotional needs of the residents, completes resident attendance list on a daily basis, and submits to designated Supervisor for care conferencing reports and program evaluation.
• Assists with promotion and publicizing of programs and or special events, and is responsible for decorating home for seasonal changes.
• Assists volunteers and/or students by providing functional direction during programs (1:1, small group, large group or special events). Demonstrates related techniques as required.
• Reports relevant observations of resident progress and behavior by methods such as communicating concerns and/or changes to the resident’s condition to the Supervisor/Recreation Therapist and other health care staff, as appropriate; provides suggestion for change or modifications to existing programs.
• Performs other related duties as assigned
Casual employment includes: short-notice, on-call availability; workload coverage during a temporary absences; and/or providing relief coverage in a specific position. Once hired into a casual role, employees are eligible to apply for internal postings including permanent part-time or full time positions.
If you are looking for a challenging career with a great work life balance, this position is for you. Come and join us! Our focus is on giving people room to grow, to make an impact in the lives of others. Apply Today!
Education, Training and Experience:
• Grade 12
• Completion of a recognized recreation course(s)
• Two year’s recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
• Valid class 4 vehicle license is required.
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
• Ability to deal with others effectively
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
• Ability to organize work
• Ability to operate related equipment
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth