MAINTENANCE WORKER VApply Now Job ID 1431214 Date posted 08/07/2020
Cottonwoods Care Centre is a 213 care bed, one-storey building on 11 acres, centrally located on Ethel Street in Kelowna, BC. The original building was completed in 1976, and in 1984 an addition was completed bringing the facility to its current state occupying 156,080 square feet. Plant Services as a whole provides services and support for the safety and comfort of patients, staff, and visitors by maintaining the physical environment, grounds and systems.
We are seeking a Maintenance Worker V for a Casual employment opportunity to perform Trades duties approaching the journeyman level in one or a variety of Trades’ areas, such as electrical, plumbing and/or painting and to supervise junior Maintenance Workers and other designated staff.
Casual employment includes: short-notice, on-call availability; workload coverage during a temporary absence; and/or providing relief coverage in a specific position. Interior Health requires all employees that work casual to work a minimum of 225 hours over a twelve (12) month period. Days of work will fall within a Monday to Friday schedule and hours of work are 8am to 4pm.
Typical Duties and Responsible are, but not limited to:
• Constructing items by framing, applying and finishing materials such as drywall, wood paneling and floor coverings.
• Designing, constructing and repairing furniture, cabinets, desks, tables and shelves.
• Performing plastering and painting for both minor building renovations and general maintenance.
• Performing electrical and mechanical repair to equipment such as washers, dryers and plant equipment by replacing and/or repairing items such as drive units, electric motors, control valves, seals and bearings.
• Installing and repairing plumbing fixtures and systems by extending and/or changing water supply lines, waste lines and plumbing fittings.
• Supervising maintenance workers and other designated staff by performing duties such as directing, scheduling and coordinating work assignments related to construction and project work and evaluating employee performance; determining related training and orientation requirements.
• Establishing and monitoring preventative maintenance procedures.
• Maintaining materials and supplies. Maintaining applicable equipment and tools. Making necessary repairs by part replacement, welding, and final testing.
• Performing other general maintenance and repair duties related to building, grounds and equipment in a variety of areas as required/assigned.
• Operating Interior Health vehicle to pickup, deliver, and/or support transport supplies, building materials and/or equipment as required.
Once hired into a Casual position, employees become eligible to apply internally on relief and permanent positions as they become available. Casual employees will receive 12.6% of their straight time pay in lieu of scheduled vacation and statutory holidays. Upon completion of 180 hours, there is the option of purchasing medical, dental and extended health benefit plans.
At Interior Health we value commitment to safety and best practice and authentic accountable actions. We achieve personal and organizational goals through working together, supporting one another and celebrating our successes.
If you are interested in being considered for a Plant Services position at Cottonwoods Care Centre, apply today!
Preference will be given to applicants with years of recent and related Building Maintenance experience, hold a valid Class 5 Driver’s License, and capable of performing grounds keeping duties.
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
• Ability to deal with others effectively
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
• Ability to organize work
• Ability to operate related equipment
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth