COORDINATOR, MEDICAL DEVICE REPROCESSING (MDR)Apply Now Job ID 1464267 Date posted 11/02/2020
Facility :KELOWNA CHSC
Status :TERM SPECIFIC FULL TIME
Interior Health’s Surgical Services team is inviting applications for the role of Coordinator, Medical Device Reprocessing (MDR).
Under the direction of the Practice Leader, MDR the Coordinator, MDR works closely with the Interior Health (IH) MDR team to ensure that device reprocessing accurately reflects the current standards of practice and the needs of IH. The Coordinator, as leader, has an integral part in the implementation and maintenance of the MDR Quality Assurance plan.
The Coordinator is responsible for initiatives, including development of processes; assisting with implementation; follow up; and reporting. Specific initiatives include: annual practice and standards reviews; policies and procedures development; patient safety and customer satisfaction measures; staff education and competencies development; and building redesigns, renovations, and equipment/consumables procurement activities. The Coordinator will also have geographic responsibility to support assigned facilities.
Some of the Benefits of Joining Interior Health:
An attractive remuneration package and excellent career prospects awaits the right candidate. In addition to a competitive wage, we offer Medical, Dental and Extended Health coverage and paid annual vacation starting at 4 weeks (20 days) up to a maximum of 7 weeks (35 days). We also offer an attractive defined employee pension plan, disability and life insurance, and options for maternity &/or paternity leave top-up.
This is a temporary 12 month position until approximately October 30, 2021 or return of the incumbent.
Interior Health strives to create an environment where you enjoy the work you do, the place where you work, and the people around you. Together, we create great workplaces. Apply today!
Some of the duties of the position;
• Acts as a role model and provides expertise on MDR practices by demonstrating leadership, staying current with standards, and by promoting excellence in clinical practice.
• Building on collaboration with key stakeholders, develops an orientation and continuing education program for existing staff involved with MDR. Develops, implements, and maintains a delivery and evaluation framework to initially assess and provide ongoing monitoring of the orientation program to meet changing environments and new standards of practice.
• Participates in the development, implementation, and maintenance of a framework to implement core competencies and measure staff skills related to this. Provides support for education and training as indicated by application of the core competency framework. Continuously assesses and evaluates the framework.
• Facilitates and supports the standardization of equipment, instrumentation, and reusable and consumable products and supplies used in all aspects of MDR.
• Represents IH as required on Group Purchasing Organization and Health Shared Services BC product evaluation committees for reprocessing products, supplies, and equipment. Liaises with other departments and programs on similar initiatives for products requiring MDR input/evaluation.
• Develops, implements, and maintains priority MDR clinical practice standards for the Health Authority. Assists with development of Standard Operating Procedures, reviews and evaluates Manufacturers’ Instruction for Use, and supports the creation of work instructions where required.
• Plans, performs, and reports on results of MDR practice reviews in Acute Services, CIHS, and Residential Services. This includes recommending trends and areas of improvement for the Health Authority and individual sites.
• Provides expertise in the physical design of new and renovated reprocessing areas. This includes designing specifications, workflow, space needs, equipment requirements, physical plant requirements for new buildings, and redesign projects and renovations.
• Provides point of contact and assistance in issues resolution for facilities as assigned. Escalates issues as required to the Practice Leader.
• Supports the implementation and maintenance of the IH chosen Instrument Management and Tracking system. This includes providing leadership on process development, report generation, and identification of training/education needs for staff.
• Creates and maintains communication materials, education and training manuals, and other documentation as required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience
• Certification in MDR from an accredited learning institute is required.
• Current registration with the Canadian Standards Association CMDRT or International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management is preferred.
• Five to seven years of recent, related work experience in all aspects of MDR.
• Adult educator and project management certificates are an asset.
• A post-secondary certificate in a related healthcare field, purchasing experience, the use of Meditech or E-Rex, and supervisory/management training or courses are all assets.
Skills and Abilities
• Collaborative style. Ability to work independently and without direct supervision.
• Proven leadership skills working with diverse groups of people. Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships and collaborate with key stakeholders across a range of groups.
• Demonstrated strong team-building and coaching/development skills. Ability to articulate and arouse enthusiasm for a shared vision and mission.
• Strong systems-thinking, critical analysis, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
• Proven strong written and verbal communication skills. Good presentation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully educate adult learners including development of in-services, lesson plans, and different delivery methods based on the students’ strengths.
• Evidence of the ability to successfully manage and support change through negotiation and facilitation.
• Experience with all types of MDR equipment. Familiarity with a vast number of medical devices. Experience with computer equipment and software including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Meditech.
• Self-directed with effective organizational, time management, and prioritization skills.
• Defines own continuing education needs and maintains competency through reading literature, management development, seminars, and taking advantage of available educational offerings.
• A valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health News
Learn more about News@IH by reading our online blog.