COMMUNICATIONS CONSULTANTApply Now Job ID 1322009 Date posted 10/22/2019
Facility :KELOWNA CHSC
Status :PERMANENT FULL TIME
Are you a storyteller who wants to create health campaigns and promotions that have the potential to make a difference in people’s lives? Do you have a talent for sharing complex information in a way that is compelling, more easily understood, and that will resonate and connect with audiences? If you are someone who thinks strategically about traditional and digital communications and can produce communications tools for the digital age, including video and social media, then we want you!
Interior Health is seeking a permanent full time Communications Consultant to join its Communications & Culture team. This position will be located in Kelowna.
The Communications Consultant works closely with Interior Health (IH) leaders to develop strategic communications that inform and engage large, IH-wide audiences including employees, medical staff, and volunteers, as well as external audiences. Reporting to the Manager, Promotions, the Consultant will be responsible for creating powerful stories that showcase our values, emotionally connects with our stakeholders, and advances communication objectives as it relates to delivering an exceptional care experience for all.
The Consultant is responsible for developing, managing, and delivering high-quality, timely communication content and plans for an assigned client group. The Consultant develops and maintains collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders as well as the Communications & Culture team in order to meet clients’ needs in a manner that supports the organization’s business objectives and reflects IH’s values and goals.
Additionally, the Consultant works collaboratively with Portfolio members, contributing his/her particular expertise and skills as required, in support of communication content and plans assigned to other Specialists.
This position requires a high-energy, self-directed, deadline-oriented individual with exceptional communication skills. Tact, discretion, teamwork, and excellent customer service skills are imperative. Preference will be given to candidates with experience and expertise in storytelling through videography (including shooting and editing) that can be shared on Interior Health social and digital channels. Membership in any or all of International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) or International Association of Public Participation (IAP2) is an asset.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Acts as a strategic advisor to an assigned client group of IH leaders or portfolios. Works to understand their communication needs and provide guidance on effective communications strategies that will help them inform their audience, respond to issues, and articulate their message.
• Proactively supports the development, implementation, and evaluation of IH-wide communication plans for projects and initiatives. Works in partnership with program and department leads, to ensure their programs, initiatives, and services are effectively communicated to diverse internal and external audiences as required.
• Utilizes strong presentation and content development skills to create clear, timely communication deliverables, includuing: memos, promotions, news releases, correspondence, speaking notes, newsletters, or online content as assigned or to meet client(s)’ needs.
• Identifies opportunities for improved two-way communication and methods for IH to most effectively share information with its employees and medical staff as well as external audiences.
• Seeks out opportunities to engage with stakeholders, to increase own knowledge and understanding of context, perspective, pressures; shares learnings with Portfolio team; considers specific needs of identified audiences, including First Nations, rural communities, patients/clients, partners, community leaders, etc.
• As a member of the Communications Portfolio, participates in the development or delivery of various communications-related resources made available to senior management, directors, staff, and physicians.
• Provides on-call (after hours) coverage according to Portfolio schedule.
• Collaborates with other Portfolio members, as required, to coordinate and execute assigned tasks, ensuring that service delivery is seamless for clients and deadlines are met.
• Seeks out opportunities to increase technical communications and engagement skills and awareness of best practices, industry standards, etc., and to share key learnings with Portfolio.
• Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
• A Bachelor’s degree specializing in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field.
• A minimum of 5 years or recent, related experience.
• An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, with demonstrated results in communications will also be considered.
• Previous experience in employee or corporate communications and knowledge of the healthcare operating environment are an asset.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work as part of a collaborative, high performance team.
• Demonstrated understanding of communications, marketing and public or media relations best practices.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication and proof-reading skills.
• Ability to develop, implement, and evaluate strategic, operational, and issues management-related communication.
• Ability to effectively work with senior leaders and other stakeholders in a wide variety of settings across the organization.
• Strong understanding of political and health care environment, including local and regional councils and leadership structures in British Columbia.
• Creative and skilled in presenting content visually through various media (websites, social media, presentations, videos, print, etc.)
• Ability to set priorities and be results-oriented.
• Ability to remain calm, alert, and high functioning under stressful situations.
• Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact, and diplomacy.
• Problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
• Advanced computer skills.
• Ability to carry out the duties of the position with a high degree of ethical and professional behaviour.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth