Clinical Interoperability SpecialistApply Now Job ID 1577248 Date posted 07/07/2021
Facility :KELOWNA CHSC
Status :PERMANENT FULL TIME
Interior Health is looking for a permanent full time Clinical Interoperability Specialist to join our Information Management & Information Technology team in Kelowna!
About the Role:
The Clinical Interoperability Specialist leads and promotes the integration of information technologies and clinical change initiatives that automate and/or enhance evidence-based clinical practices, access to patient/client information and clinical documentation via the BC Health Information Exchange, as well as other interoperability paradigms.
As an integral member of a regional multi-disciplinary IMIT team, Clinical Interoperability Specialist works to increase the effectiveness, efficiency and meaningful use of the Interior Health clinical systems throughout IHA programs and services. The role would ideally provide interoperability standards subject matter expertise at all stages of the clinical system life cycle, translates clinical requirements, leads teams and contributes to project planning and implementation schedules. The role also provides coaching and mentorship to co-workers, and coordination of work.
The Specialist acts as the Health Authority subject matter expert in the area of Clinical Interoperability, and works closely with provincial initiatives and working groups to make the best use of international health information management standards. The role accurately and promptly analyzes, prioritizes and translates identified health care needs and requests to communication standards that support improved access to health care information for health care providers across the continuity of care spectrum. This may include facilitating communication amongst end users, identifying and articulating gaps between clinical business processes and systems and facilitates the analysis, design, building and maintenance of clinical content standards within systems.
Some Key Duties may include:
• Provides clinical informatics standards, and Health Information Exchange subject matter expertise to services and projects.
• Applies understanding of the broader health system, clinical workflows, processes, and decision support needs as well as an understanding of clinical and other IT systems use and capabilities.
• Collaborates with other members of IH IMIT teams and other organizational programs/departments and partner affiliates related to system wide practice and workflow change initiatives, practice innovation and redesign, documentation/nomenclature standards and EMRs.
• Provides clinical informatics leadership when participating in system integration reviews and needs assessments for assigned areas, projects and departments; serves as a consulting resource to leadership, project teams, other members of the organization and peer health authorities regarding requirements for clinical information and electronic structured documentation practice.
• Engages directly with nurses, physicians and other staff to translate the outputs from an evolving integrated health services environment (at multiple levels) into the input needed by a more structured integrated EMR and supporting services.
• Considers and translates informatics elements such as clinical data sets, structured versus unstructured data and human interface requirements for the purpose of identifying integration gaps.
• Coordinates activities, such as analyzing and documenting at a detailed level, requirements, workflow and IT system issues/problems, reporting needs, and performing gap analysis and current state assessments.
• Performs literature reviews of leading clinical practices and clinical IT systems.
• Demonstrates an understanding of architectural relationships between key health information technology components and best practices in enterprise architecture frameworks/perspectives
• Performs other related duties as required.
Some of the Benefits of Joining Interior Health:
An attractive remuneration package in keeping with your qualifications and experience and excellent career prospects awaits the right candidate. In addition to a competitive wage, we offer a total compensation package! We have one of the best benefit package and pension plans in Canada. In addition to Medical, Dental and Extended Health coverage, we offer paid annual vacation starting at 4 weeks (20 days) up to a maximum of 7 weeks (35 days). We also offer an attractive (defined benefit) employee pension plan, disability and life insurance, and options for maternity &/or paternity leave top-up.
Make a difference. Love your work. Apply today! Interior Health strives to create an environment where you enjoy the work you do, the place where you work, and the people around you. Together, we create great workplaces....Be part of a dynamic team!
Education, Training, and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Health Information Systems, or a related discipline. An equivalent combination of experience and post-secondary education may also be considered.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in healthcare information systems including responsibility for planning, systems implementation and analysis, and staff development and supervision.
• Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities:
• Detailed understanding of the function, process, and integration of information systems in a healthcare environment.
• Strong understanding of HL7 standards (e.g. HL7 v2, HL7 v3 RIM, CDA, FHIR)
• Ability to guide, coach, teach, and promote a learning environment and continuous quality improvement.
• Ability to display knowledge of how people, resources and information flow through the health system.
• Demonstrated understanding of the data interrelationship and dependencies among the various health information systems.
• Strong documentation skills and demonstrated ability to develop detailed clinical or technical documentation, information models, diagrams, and track work activities or issues documentation.
• Intermediate computer skills and ability to work comfortably with business process management tools, spreadsheets, presentations, diagramming and word processing software (e.g. Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Word).
• Familiarity with international terminology and coding standards (e.g. ICD9/10, SnomedCT, LOINC)
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.