CLINICAL CHEMISTApply Now Job ID 1261871 Date posted 05/16/2019
Facility :KELOWNA GENERAL HOSPITAL
Status :PERMANENT FULL TIME
In accordance with the established vision and values of the organization and within the context of a client and quality-centred model of care, the Clinical Chemist promotes a safe and respectful working environment for patients, colleagues, and staff.
Reporting to the Central Area Medical Director and Director, Laboratory Operations in a dyad model, the Clinical Chemist is primarily responsible for the oversight of assigned areas within the Clinical Chemistry scope of practice which may include high volume chemistry, high volume immunoassay, blood gas analysis, urinalysis, protein chemistry, lipids, point-of-care, and mass spectrometry, as applicable. The Clinical Chemist is encouraged to participate in the academic program under the clinical faculty stream with the University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBC-O).
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Promotes a safe and respectful working environment for patients, colleagues, and staff.
• Oversees high volume chemistry, high volume immunoassay, blood gas urinalysis, protein chemistry, lipids, point of care, and mass spectrometry, as applicable.
• Participates in the oversight of remote laboratories within Interior Health (IH).
• Provides interpretive reporting (sign-out) of select tests, such as protein electrophoresis and endocrine testing, in collaboration with colleagues.
• In collaboration with the Chemistry Discipline Team, advises what new tests should be offered in coordination with clinical departments and provides professional advice, consultation, and support in the development and/or implementation of such tests.
• Assists the Medical Director and Director, Laboratory Operations in defining and ranking capital equipment needs for the laboratory and participates in the preparation of requests for proposal (RFPs) for instrumentation acquisitions.
• Participates in, identifies, and/or conducts research activities in the field of expertise, reporting results in publications and presenting at conferences at a local, regional, national, or international level to disseminate findings.
• Participates in onsite electives and/or training of UBC-Okanagan medical students and residents who may rotate through the Kelowna General Hospital laboratory.
• Participates on Provincial (e.g., Lab Agency), Regional, and Hospital committees to offer advice on sub-specialty matters and/or represents the perspectives of IH as applicable.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• A Doctoral degree (PhD) from an academically accredited university and successful completion of a minimum two-year Clinical Chemistry Post-Doctoral Fellowship Program from an accredited Canadian program or from a COMACC (www.comacc.org) approved American program.
• In addition, Clinical Chemistry Board Certification with a recognized accrediting body such as the Canadian Academy of Clinical Biochemistry or the American Board of Clinical Chemistry, or, if just completing training, eligibility for Clinical Chemistry Board Certification.
• Post-certification experience with development of sub-specialty expertise and additional certification is an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
• Lead and manage test development, implementation, and maintenance activities.
• Mentor scientific/technical staff to provide an optimal mix of quality, efficiency, and productivity in the provision of clinical chemistry services.
• Perform and troubleshoot complex clinical chemistry procedures.
• Plan and manage technical and scientific projects and design and execute research proposals.
• Review and recommend requests for proposals (RFPs).
• Provide scientific supervision for specific laboratory testing.
• Evaluate clinical laboratory quality systems and employ continuous process improvement techniques.
• Use computerized laboratory information systems and standard desktop computer applications.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth