ACCOUNTANTApply Now Job ID 1341227 Date posted 12/02/2019
Facility :KELOWNA CHSC
Status :PERMANENT FULL TIME
Are you an Accountant with a sound understanding of financial management and reporting? Are you an organized individual with proven analytical and problem-solving skills? We are seeking a permanent full time Accountant to join our team in Kelowna, BC!
The Accountant is responsible for assisting in providing leadership within the Accounting Department, a team of professionals, coordinating the financial/management reporting functions (internally and externally) and General Ledger and Accounting within an integrated multi-facility environment. Other key responsibilities include coordinating information development to assist the Board in managing and forecasting resources throughout the fiscal year and providing technical expertise and guidance to the Manager, Accounting and Treasury Services.
The Accountant ensures all financial transactions have been reflected appropriately and completely in the financial statements and coordinates activities of staff engaged in these functions to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness; this includes setting processing priorities and deadlines and authorizing required journal entries.
The Accountant makes decisions, or provides input, and makes recommendations to the Manager, Accounting and Treasury Services on financial issues as they relate to the policies and operating procedures of Interior Health (IH). The Accountant assists in the development of appropriate internal control systems and financial processes to ensure compliance with established guidelines, such as the CICA Handbook, MIS guidelines, etc., and implementing changes as required.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for all aspects of General Ledger and Financial/Management reporting functions within a portfolio of IH (i.e. VP hierarchy, etc.) in accordance with organizational policy and accounting and governmental requirements (MIS standards), ensuring consistent presentation within IH. Develops standard and ad hoc reports for the Financial Services portfolio.
2. Responsible for maintaining internal organizational structure and signing authority of cost centers to ensure internal financial control structure of the Decision Matrix Authority is maintained, while working with the Business Support group.
3. Ensures all financial transactions have been reflected appropriately and completely in the financial statements, coordinating activities of staff engaged in these functions to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness; this includes setting processing priorities and deadlines and authorizing required journal entries. In addition, reviews general ledger balance sheet account reconciliations and bank reconciliations.
4. In collaboration with the Manager, develops and implements accounting processes and procedures to ensure compliance with established guidelines such as the CICA Handbook, MIS guidelines, etc. and implementing changes as required.
5. Participates in the annual and interim external audits by preparing and reviewing year-end financial statements, working papers, and schedules for IH, including coordination of production/changes/ improvements to information presented.
6. Prepares and analyzes multi-dimensional financial data (i.e. clinical, financial, statistical, and full-time equivalents) to identify potential problems or trends and present recommendations to resolve, if appropriate.
7. Assists the Manager in the preparation and analysis of periodic financial statements and quarterly reports to the Audit and Finance Committee of the Board of IH and the Ministry of Health. Develops issue papers for the Audit and Finance, Human Resource, and Governance Committees of the Board of IH in line with the Terms of Reference for the committees.
8. Coordinates the compilation of financial reports for submission to the appropriate governing bodies (i.e. Annual Charity Return, Financial Information Act, Health Authority Management Information System (HAMIS), CMHC Reporting, BC Housing, etc.).
9. Analyzes financial statement income and expense variances, follows up on discrepancies, and takes corrective action to ensure IH’s financial statements are accurate.
10. Acts as a liaison with the Business Support group providing advice on the development of accounting processes for new and changed strategic initiatives and ensures they are compliant with the requirements of MIS guidelines.
11. Participates on assigned internal and external committees as required by attending meetings, acting as a resource regarding the establishment of accounting procedures, and advising the Manager of meeting outcomes.
12. Performs other related duties as required.
Education, Training, and Experience
• A CPA and a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration.
• Five years of recent, related experience in a large-scale processing environment.
• Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that is acceptable to IH.
Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to manage, plan, problem-solve, organize, and monitor.
• Ability to organize and complete work assignments within deadlines.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving skills in a team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, including the ability to make presentations to groups.
• Ability to work independently.
• Sound understanding of financial management and reporting.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure in a highly dynamic environment subject to continuous change.
• Proficiency in the use of personal computers and computerized financial systems.
• Excellent knowledge of complex computerized systems and National MIS Standards.
• Excellent knowledge of current healthcare issues.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth