THERAPEUTIC RECREATION ASSISTANTApply Now Job ID 1161424 Date posted 09/21/2018
Facility :HILLSIDE CTR- ADULT PSYCH
Status :RELIEF FULL TIME
We are seeking a Therapeutic Recreation Assistant at Hillside Adult Psychiatric Centre for a temporary full time opportunity until the return of incumbent in Sept 2019.
Hillside Centre is a 44 bed facility located on the Royal Inland Hospital campus. It provides services to both adults and elderly individuals with acute illness and/or severely dysfunctional behaviours who cannot be cared for in the psychiatric system in their own area. The focus is on diagnosis and stabilization with rehabilitation strategies to promote stabilization and reintegration into the community to return home.
A strong candidate will have ability to critically think and problem-solve on the fly while implementing recreational programs for residents. Working within a resident-centered model, the Therapeutic Recreation Assistant works as a member of the multi-disciplinary, tertiary mental health services’ team and be responsible for implementing and participating in recreation/leisure activities that meet clients' psychosocial rehabilitation, activation, life skills, recreational care, and social needs.
Typical duties include:
• Carrying out established individual or group leisure/recreation therapy programs.
• Identifying and reporting observable social, emotional, and physical factors which might influence patients’ therapeutic programs, promoting patient participation in activities and discussing patient’s progress with the multidisciplinary team.
• Carrying out patient activity programs in the community by driving the supplied vehicle for established outings, confirming details of such activities, checking that the patient has appropriate clothing and necessary equipment for the activity, and safely loading/unloading patients from the vehicle.
The Therapeutic Recreation Assistant is responsible for working with people that have illnesses and disabilities, in order to improve their health and quality of life through leisure and recreation related activities, such as arts and crafts, drama, music, dance, sports, games, and field trips. The Therapeutic Recreation Assistant plays a valuable role in enhancing the quality of life for individuals with physical, cognitive, emotional or social limitations.
The successful candidate must have an interest in helping others to cope with anxiety, depression or build confidence. This position offers the Therapeutic Recreation Assistant opportunity to work with all different levels of healthcare professionals, a strong team environment and everyday challenges in prioritizing activities and keeping residents engaged.
If you are passionate about Therapeutic Recreation and are looking for an opportunity to join the care team at Hillside Adult Psychiatric Centre, we would love to hear from you!
Education, Training and Experience:
• Grade 12
• Completion of a recognized Activity Assistant Program and one year recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Valid Class 4 BC Driver’s License.
• Food Safe Certificate
• Current certificates in CPR and First Aid.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth