MANAGER NURSING, UTILIZATION & ACCESS/FLOWApply Now Job ID 1211387 Date posted 01/24/2019
Facility :ROYAL INLAND HOSPITAL
Status :PERMANENT FULL TIME
In accordance with the established vision and values of the organization, the Manager, Utilization and Access/Flow provides leadership, supervision, and management of the utilization program in addition to assisting the Health Service Director in developing, implementing, and evaluating strategies/projects to improve/maintain optimal utilization as it relates to quality, access, and flow of care. The Manager is responsible for the retrieval, analysis, and presentation of strategic utilization information that is required to support operational and administrative decision making. The Manager is accountable for efficient, effective utilization of approved physical, financial, and human resources; for guiding and coordinating activities within the department in accordance with professional standards; and supporting the goals and strategic direction of Interior Health.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Develops and maintains the utilization program at the Royal Inland Hospital. Assists the Health Service Director in planning, implementing, coordinating, and evaluating hospital-wide utilization and access/flow processes.
2. Develops strategies to overcome identified shortfalls or barriers in current practice and using/or developing evidence-based innovations and recommends changes that promote quality care and improve utilization.
3. Provides leadership to members of the interdisciplinary team in identifying learning needs of staff and determining priorities related to utilization, access/flow, and ALC allocation.
4. Supports the development and conduct of research to promote clinical knowledge development and research-based practice related to utilization and access/flow.
5. Assists in the development, revision, and introduction of policies, procedures, clinical pathways, practice guidelines, and other resource materials to support quality care delivery and efficient utilization and access/flow activities.
6. Evaluates effectiveness of care provided and seeks mechanisms to ensure that standards are met consistently. Responds to patient care issues and public concerns in a supportive and goal oriented manner, facilitating communication to affect positive outcomes.
7. Maintains fiscal accountability by collecting and monitoring necessary fiscal and utilization data and analyzes data appropriately. Ensures effective use of resources within the Utilization Department. Monitors the budgets, identifies variances, and takes corrective action, as required, to maintain expenditures within the approved budgets.
8. Participates in the development and implementation of the local quality improvement and risk management initiatives for acute care services in accordance with Interior Health standards and processes.
9. Analyzes current trends and data in assigned area of responsibility related to the provision of accessible, comprehensive, efficient, and effective service/care.
10. Participates, as part of the local management team, in coordinating the utilization of shared resources including services, equipment, and space with other departments of the health site as well as with other sites in the Health Service Areas.
11. Acts as a change agent within the service fostering an environment of innovation and critical thinking.
12. Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members in planning and providing effective and efficient care within the assigned portfolio to support the achievement of operational and strategic objectives of the clinical program consistent with the mission, vision, and values of Interior Health.
13. Ensures the development and implementation of an effective recruiting, performance review, and performance enhancement strategy; growth and development of select personnel; and succession planning within the service area.
14. Identifies potential leaders and provides support and assistance to those individuals to address career goals.
15. Administers collective agreements and represents the employer in the grievance process, on various union/management committees, and during essential service situations.
16. Analyses current trends and data in assigned areas of responsibility relating to the provision of accessible, comprehensive, efficient, and effective service/care. This includes sick time, overtime, casual utilization, WCB, turnover, staff mix, vacation utilization, and vacancies.
17. Maintains a positive and productive work environment respecting the value of an interdisciplinary team approach to the provision of health services. Promotes the creation of a quality work environment.
18. Identifies the educational needs of staff in the provision of direct patient care. Ensures the appropriate mechanisms are in place to support staff in the provision of quality patient care. Communicates with educational personnel regarding identified needs and collaboratively plans the opportunities for professional development.
19. Represents Patient Care Services and assigned clinical areas on a variety of internal and external committees as required.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelors Degree in Nursing; a Masters Degree in a health-related field preferred
• A minimum of 7 to 10 years recent, related acute care experience with 3 years in a management/administrative position
• Current practicing membership with the British Columbia college of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP)
Demonstrates all LEADS Capabilities, in particular:
• Leads Self – self-awareness, demonstrates character
• Engages Others – fosters the development of others, communicates effectively, builds effective teams
• Achieves Results – sets direction, takes action to implement decisions, assesses & evaluates results
• Develops Coalitions – builds partnerships & networks to create results, demonstrates a commitment to customers & service, navigates socio-political environments
• System Transformation – demonstrates systems/critical thinking, strategically oriented to the future, champions & orchestrates change
Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to guide individuals and groups while maintaining group cohesion, motivation, commitment, and effectiveness.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively introduce and manage change that is consistent with the vision, purpose, and operating principles of Interior Health.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, implement, manage, and evaluate programs.
• Excellent negotiation skills to relate effectively with clients, medical staff, and members of the interdisciplinary team.
• Ability to define own continuing education needs and maintain competency through reading literature, management workshops, seminars, and available educational offerings.
• Demonstrated ability to identify strategies and opportunities in a dynamic environment that lead to identified outcomes using evidence-based practice
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and verbal forms.
• Demonstrated program and project management skills and proficiency with a variety of pertinent computer software.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, implement, organize, and evaluate using critical thinking and problem solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to collate/analyze data and proficiency in Excel spreadsheets and graphing.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth