MANAGER, ACUTE ADULT AND PEDIATRIC MENTAL HEALTH SERVICESApply Now Job ID 1282706 Date posted 07/10/2019
Facility :ROYAL INLAND HOSPITAL
Status :PERMANENT FULL TIME
We are seeking a permanent full time Manager of Acute Adult and Pediatric Mental Health Services to join us at Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops. This role has operational responsibility for the 29-bed inpatient psychiatric unit and the child and youth service (including a small pediatric unit) and 80 reporting permanent staff. This position offers a large scope for future career development in leadership as well as the support of a great regional team within MHSU. Apply today to join a great team!
In accordance with the established vision and values of the organization, the Manager is accountable for ensuring excellence in the provision of patient-centered care within the defined clinical areas. The Manager is responsible for providing leadership and direction for the operations, management, utilization, risk management, and quality improvement within the clinical areas. The Manager applies management theory and concepts to leading, staffing, monitoring, evaluating, and data-gathering including the development of relevant outcome measures pertinent to the clinical areas. The Manager is accountable for efficient, effective utilization of approved physical, financial, and human resources and for guiding and coordinating activities of the clinical areas in accordance with professional standards and supporting the goals and strategic direction of Interior Health (IH).
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides leadership for clinical practice by seeking out and identifying best practices in patient care ensuring the appropriate structures, system processes, and culture are in place to facilitate ongoing development of a best practice model of care.
2. Evaluates effectiveness of care provided and seeks mechanisms to ensure that standards are met consistently. Responds to patient care issues and public concerns in a supportive and goal-oriented manner, facilitating communication to affect positive outcomes.
3. Facilitates and directs the development, implementation, and evaluation of unit-specific goals and objectives, standards and policies, ensuring consistency with the established standards and objectives of the services within IH.
4. Maintains fiscal accountability by collecting and monitoring necessary fiscal and utilization data and analyzes data appropriately. Ensures effective use of resources in the clinical areas. Monitors the budgets, identifies and reports variances, and takes corrective action as required to maintain expenditures within the approved budgets.
5. Participates in the development and implementation of local quality improvement, IH projects, and risk management initiatives for acute care services in accordance with IH standards and processes.
6. Analyzes current trends and data in the clinical areas of responsibility related to the provision of accessible, comprehensive, efficient, and effective service/care.
7. Participates, as part of the local management team, in coordinating the utilization of shared resources including services, equipment, and space with other departments of the health site, as well as with other sites in the Health Services Area.
8. Acts as a change agent within the service, fostering an environment of innovation and critical thinking.
9. Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members in planning and providing effective and efficient care within the clinical areas to support the achievement of operational and strategic objectives of the clinical programs and to maintain consistency with the mission, vision, and values of IH.
10. Ensures the development and implementation of an effective recruiting, performance review, and performance enhancement strategy, growth, and development of select personnel and succession planning within the clinical areas.
11. Identifies potential leaders and provides support and assistance to those individuals to address career goals.
12. Supervises staff, administers collective agreements, and is responsible for staff discipline up to and including termination. Represents the employer in the grievance process, on various union/ management committees, and during essential service situations.
13. Analyses current trends and data in the assigned clinical areas relating to the provision of accessible, comprehensive, efficient, and effective service/care. This includes sick time, overtime, casual utilization, WCB, turnover, staff mix, vacation utilization, and vacancies.
14. Maintains a positive and productive work environment respecting the value of an interdisciplinary team approach to the provision of health services. Promotes the creation of a quality work environment.
15. Identifies the educational needs of staff in the provision of direct patient care. Ensures the appropriate mechanisms are in place to support staff in the provision of quality patient care. Communicates with educational personnel regarding identified needs and collaboratively plans opportunities for professional development.
16. Represents Patient Care Services and assigned clinical areas on a variety of internal and external committees as required.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.
Click here to watch a video of why Interior Health MHSU is your next best career destination
Education, Training, and Experience
• A Bachelor’s degree in Nursing. A Master’s degree in a health-related field is preferred.
• A minimum of 4 years of recent, related acute care experience with 3 years in a formal leadership position.
• Current practicing membership with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia.
• Experience in Mental Health and Pediatrics is required.
• IH Emotional Intelligence Competencies
Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to guide individuals and groups while maintaining group cohesion, motivation, commitment, and effectiveness.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively introduce and manage change that is consistent with the vision, purpose, and operating principles of IH.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, implement, manage, and evaluate programs.
• Excellent negotiation skills to relate effectively with clients, medical staff, and members of the interdisciplinary team.
• Defines own continuing education needs and maintains competency through reading literature, management workshops, seminars, and available educational offerings.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth