RECREATION THERAPISTApply Now Job ID 1443829 Date posted 09/14/2020
Facility :ENDERBY HEALTH CENTRE
In accordance with established vision and values of the organization and within the context of a client and resident centered care model, and in accordance with established standards of professional practice, the Recreation Therapist provides recreation and leisure programs/activities one on one and in groups to clients. Assesses clients' recreation and leisure needs, develops and coordinates the delivery of therapeutic recreation plans and evaluates outcomes/objectives. Performs recreation/leisure assessments to create therapeutic recreation programs that benefit the clients’ health, functional status, personal development and quality of life. Documents behavioural and functional observations. Develops individualized therapeutic recreation plans in collaboration with others. Monitors clients' progress, revisits goals, identifies accomplishments and sets/revises time lines to ensure objectives are met. Collaborates with Occupational/ Rehabilitation staff, other health care professionals, social and recreational agencies/groups in the resolution of client program issues. Contributes to the organization and delivery of Recreation Therapy services, and participates in designated quality assurance initiatives, meetings, research and education, as required. Provides input to the Manager by participating in the development of laboratory guidelines and procedures; research and continuous quality improvement initiatives for the department. Performs administrative duties as required.
Interior Health strives to create an environment where you enjoy the work you do, the place where you work, and the people around you. Everyone plays a role in the care continuum. Together, we create great workplaces. Interior Health has been named one of BC’s Top Employers for 2015! This special designation recognizes the BC employers that lead their industries in offering exceptional places to work...Be part of a dynamic team!
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
• Identifies barriers to recreation (ie: psychiatric, physical, cultural, developmental, cognitive, neuron-psychological, socio-economic, substance abuse); develops therapeutic intervention strategies to integrate/reintegrate client into community/facility/home.
• Applies a research approach to clinical problem solving through methods such as examining a problem, reviewing related literature/resources, applying research findings to the problem, and evaluating the results of the solution.
• Provides information to clients/families regarding therapeutic interventions such as increasing awareness of various recreational and leisure pursuits including sports, creative arts, hobbies, outdoor activities and social groups/events; selects activities based on client goals, abilities and resources.
• Prepares and delivers presentations on subjects related to Recreation Therapy for colleagues, other staff or orientation by methods such as researching topics and preparing related materials.
• Supervises support staff as required by performing duties such as assigning and scheduling work, evaluating performance and providing input into hiring and disciplinary matters. Maintains and verifies accuracy of timekeeping and scheduling documentation as required.
• Establishes, maintains and enhances therapeutic relationships; identifies learning needs, readiness to learn, initiates discussions regarding goals and concerns, engages client and family in treatment implementation and evaluation and supports client’s right to benefit from recreation and leisure activities. Leads team members in building and maintaining a quality environment.
• Sets measurable goals and objectives within a team environment; maintains and updates own knowledge of clinical and professional development in the area of practice, and develops a professional development plan with others and reviews progress to ensure that goals are achieved within established time frames.
• Provides input into budgetary matters by identifying departmental needs and making recommendations. Monitors expenses for the department to ensure alignment with established approved budget, as required/directed.
• Engages in team planning, development, evaluation and quality improvement activities that facilitate team goal setting, problem solving, conflict resolution and collaboration; attends meetings/in-services, reviews team policies and procedures, provides input/recommendations regarding efficiency of work processes/procedures.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Come and join us! Our focus is on giving people room to grow, to make an impact in the lives of others.
• We invite applicants to self-identify as First Nation, Métis or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.
• Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Recreational Therapy
• Two years recent related experience.
• Eligible for professional membership with the B.C. Therapeutic Recreation Association (BCTRA).
• Current valid BC driver’s license.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth