PROGRAM COORDINATOR II (RECREATION)Apply Now Job ID 1415754 Date posted 07/31/2020
Facility :SWAN VALLEY LODGE
Status :RELIEF FULL TIME
Interior Health is hiring a relief full time Program Coordinator II (Recreation) to join our Adult Day Services team at Swan Valley Lodge in Creston.
This position plans, develops, implements and evaluates a variety of recreational/leisure programs designed to support residents’/clients’ health and well-being in residential, acute and/or adult day program settings. This position also supervises designated staff, students and volunteers.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Plans, implements and evaluates recreation/leisure program(s), including activities such as crafts, music, woodworking, mental aerobics, exercises, and sensory stimulation to meet residents’/clients’ physical, social, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual needs and interests; develops the goals and objectives of the program.
2. Supervises designated staff, students and volunteers by performing duties such as scheduling and coordinating work assignments, providing work direction, evaluating performance and determining related training and orientation requirements. Interviews and makes recommendations to Manager (or designate) for staff recruitment.
3. Determines the recreation/leisure program(s) which meet the residents’/clients’ needs and abilities by reviewing the referral or care plan, interviewing the client/resident regarding their social/leisure history and consulting with family and multidisciplinary team; identifies, evaluates, implements, and documents recreation/leisure goals and objectives based on individual interests and abilities.
4. Sets up calendar of events/activity programs and teaches the techniques of related activities; contacts external agencies for program resources.
5. Monitors, evaluates, and documents resident/client progress within the recreation/leisure program(s) and reports observations such as emotional well-being and social behaviour to multidisciplinary team as required. Participates in multidisciplinary team meetings and care conferences. Identifies and makes recommendations regarding community and facility resources that may be of additional interest or need to the resident/client.
6. Assists clients with meals including providing nourishments and feeding. Assists clients with activities of daily living including lifting and transferring clients as required.
7. Monitors program expenditures and provides input to the program budget; oversees inventory of equipment, tools and materials and recommends purchase of same. Purchases minor equipment in accordance with established guidelines and procedures. Ensures equipment, tools and materials are in good repair and appropriate for use. Reports malfunctioning equipment to the Manager.
8. Recruits, screens and selects applicants for volunteer placements by reviewing application forms, conducting interviews, performing reference checks, and evaluating applicants’ suitability for the program as required in accordance with established site procedures.
9. Provides guidance and support to staff, students and volunteers by clarifying roles and expectations and providing formal and informal volunteer recognition, as required. Follows up on complaints and/or conflicts and takes appropriate action.
10. Develops and maintains a direct line of communication with residents/clients and their families and involves both in activities and group discussions which affect the resident’s/client’s life.
11. Establishes and maintains liaison with community resources, volunteer organizations, other health care professionals, religious and ethnic group representatives and learning institutions for purposes of ensuring a continuing link to the community for residents/clients and activity programming, as required.
12. Arranges for residents/clients to attend community facilities, activities and special events, and ensures their transport and access as required.
13. Transports clients using Interior Health vehicle for established community outings according to relevant safety rules, regulations and standards as required.
14. Provides input into the development and revision of policies and procedures as related to recreational/leisure programs.
15. Completes and maintains required records such as resident/client reports, forms for supplies, workload and volunteer data and prepares related reports and statistics. Prepares newsletter for clients and families as required.
16. Facilitates weekly meetings with recreation staff as required. Attends department and facility meetings as required. Facilitates family/client councils as required.
17. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience:
• Graduation from a recognized recreational program, for example: a diploma in Therapeutic Recreation
• One year recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Valid class 4 vehicle license, as required.
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
• Ability to organize work
• Ability to supervise
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
• Ability to deal with others effectively
• Ability to operate related equipment
Please attach a copy of your Recreation diploma and Class 4 Drivers Licence along with your resume.
This posting is for a position at a facility covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s Single Site Order and selected applicant(s) must comply with the requirements of the order.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth