SPEECH–LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST - ACUTE CARE REHABILITATION SERVICESApply Now Job ID 1285064 Date posted 07/26/2019
Facility :EK REGIONAL HOSPITAL
Status :PERMANENT FULL TIME
Consider relocating for a Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) opportunity in one of BC’s most desired destinations – Cranbrook, BC. If you appreciate having sunshine and lots of fresh air, Cranbrook is the place to be!
A permanent, full time position is available at East Kootenay Regional Hospital (EKRH). A hospital responsible for providing core medical and surgical specialty services to patients throughout its service area.
The position is primarily Inpatient Acute Medical Care for adults, which involves a lot of bedside swallowing assessments and the ability to do Modified Barium Swallow assessments. Also, the SLP hired would assist with the communication aspect of treatment for inpatients who have had a stroke or other conditions where communication is significantly affected. The clientele are 99.9% adult. There is an expectation to be competent in dysphagia management, including conducting and interpreting videofluoroscopic examinations.
KGH’s Speech-Language Pathology Services focus primarily on adults with communication and /or swallowing disorders. The position provides assessment, treatment, education, and referral sources to the patients/clients they serve. Speech-Language Pathologists in the Acute Care setting provide evaluation and treatment of swallowing disorders and speech and language problems resulting from strokes, head injury, respiratory issues, and other medical complications. There is an expectation to be competent in dysphagia management, including conducting and interpreting videofluoroscopic examinations.
The successful SLP will have opportunity to access and network with Interior Health's other hospital, inpatient focused SLPs. The individual interested in developing more skills, such as modified barium swallowing and other specialized SLP skills will have those opportunities made available to him/her.
Days of work are Monday to Friday with weekends and statutory holidays off. Hourly rates of pay $34.26 to $42.73 and starting salary to be determined by relative and recent prior work experience. This position is eligible for our comprehensive benefits plan that includes coverage for basic Medical Services, Dental Services, and Extended Health. Relocation allowance is available to the successful SLP if relocation is necessary.
BC’s rural towns and smaller cities offer natural beauty, access to backcountry adventures, community connections, peace of mind, and a quieter way of life. Experience the satisfaction that comes from working and living in a rural area!
Education, Training and Experience:
• Registration as a Speech-Language Pathologist with the College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of BC.
• One year’s clinical experience with adults in a hospital setting and/or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Valid BC Driver’s license where required.
Skills and Abilities:
• Assessment and Treatment: Demonstrated ability to complete initial and ongoing client assessments (clinical and diagnostic reasoning) through appropriate/prescribed technical, therapeutic, safety type interventions.
• Teaching: Ability to teach clients and others both one-on-one and in groups.
• Knowledge Integration: Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
• Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff and members of the interdisciplinary team using verbal, written, computer communication means. Ability to effectively apply conflict resolution skills..
• Critical Thinking: Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve and make decisions effectively. Applies the problem solving process demonstrating critical thinking and decision making skills using a systems approach.
• Human Caring and Relationship Centered Practice: Ability to promote client-focused care that demonstrates care for and with clients and significant others, sensitivity to diverse cultures and preferences, client advocacy and social justice concerns.
• Management: Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and establish priorities. Manages time and resources, implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team and collaborates across disciplines.
• Leadership: Promotes staff morale, engagement and empowerment. Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovation, implementation of IH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self and others.
• Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
• Equipment: Demonstrated computer skills including the use of Meditech and Windows based programs. Demonstrated data analysis skills including appropriate data analysis and reporting tools. Demonstrated ability in the use of e-mail and word processing. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth