DIRECTOR, LABORATORY QUALITY, SAFETY, AND INNOVATIONApply Now Job ID 1357285 Date posted 01/14/2020
Status :PERMANENT FULL TIME
Come and join an amazing team and show your passion for leadership as the Director, Laboratory Quality, Safety, and Innovation!
The Director, Laboratory Quality, Safety, and Innovation is responsible for directing the implementation, monitoring, and compliance of laboratory legislative and regulatory requirements for all IH laboratories. In addition, the Director is responsible for leading, planning, designing, implementing, and evaluating IH laboratories for Quality, Safety, Point of Care Testing (POCT), and Innovations. The incumbent works in collaboration with Administrative and Clinical Leadership and liaises with Laboratory Operations Directors, the Laboratory Medical Director, and other internal and external stakeholders across Interior Health.
This is a Regional Position and the work location of the successful applicant can be anywhere across the Interior Health region. Minimal travel will be required.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Directs and develops and implements policies, processes, and procedures in accordance with professional, legal, and industry standards that ensure a safe work environment. Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and accreditation standards.
2. Responsible for the coordination and implementation of a Quality System strategy in collaboration with corporate and operational staff.
3. Ensures quality and safety audits are performed and management reviews are completed as required. Presents to leadership and clinical groups.
4. Develops outcome improvement measures for Quality and Patient Safety.
5. Assists in development of annual Quality Reports for Senior Executive Team and Board of Directors.
6. Completes regular review of the Patient Safety Learning System (PSLS) to ensure all events are handled and followed up in a timely manner. Compiles data and provides reports on trends and outcomes.
7. Provides consultation on incident investigations/root cause analysis.
8. Leads in co-management with the IH POCT Committee in the developing, planning, implementing, and monitoring of services, policies, processes, and procedures for POCT for IH.
9. Manages the establishment and maintenance of the POCT program in conjunction with onsite Point of Care technologists and/or coordinators.
10. Manages contract Quality Coordinators by recruiting, hiring, disciplining, and terminating staff as required. Completes performance assessments and prepares staff development and training plans.
11. Leads, collaborates, and participates in the development of LEAN innovation opportunities in IH Laboratories.
12. Participates in the training of staff in LEAN and flow processes and aids with change management.
13. Participates on the Lab Leadership Team and organization-wide and provincial committees as required.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience
• Graduation from an approved training program for Medical Laboratory Technologists.
• Post-graduate training in business or health administration.
• Current registration with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science and membership in the British Columbia Society for Laboratory Science.
• A minimum of 8 years of experience working in medical laboratories with at least 5 years in a leadership or management role.
• Successful completion of Health Management and Quality Management Programs.
• An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training may be considered.
Demonstrates all LEADS Capabilities, in particular:
• Leads Self – self-awareness, demonstrates character
• Engages Others – fosters the development of others, communicates effectively, builds effective teams
• Achieves Results – sets direction, strategically aligns decisions with vision, values & evidence
• Develops Coalitions – builds partnerships & networks to create results, navigates socio-political environments
• System Transformation – demonstrates systems/critical thinking, strategically oriented to the future, champions & orchestrates change
Skills and Abilities
• Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff, and the members of the interdisciplinary team using oral, written, and computer communication means. Demonstrated ability to effectively resolve conflict.
• Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data from multiple sources, to problem-solve, and to make decisions effectively. Applies the problem-solving process demonstrating critical thinking and decision-making skills using a systems approach.
• Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives, and establish priorities. Manages time and resources; implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team; supervises responsibilities of others; and collaborates across disciplines.
• Promotes staff morale, engagement, and risk-taking. Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovation, implementation of IH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self and others.
• Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
• Demonstrated computer skills including the use of Meditech and MS Windows-based programs.
• Demonstrated data analysis skills including appropriate data analysis and reporting tools.
• Demonstrated ability in the use of e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, and Visio. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Interior Health values diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to cultivate a workforce rich in culture, experience and knowledge to ensure equitable health outcomes for all of the clients we serve. We are welcoming of all populations including our Aboriginal partners throughout the Interior Health Region. We are committed to increasing our Aboriginal representative workforce to build an engaged, culturally diverse organization focused on the goal of providing high quality, sustainable healthcare through an engaged workforce and healthy workplaces. We build inclusive, trusting and respectful relationships through our partnerships. At Interior Health, Every Person Matters.
Follow Us On Facebook
Stay up-to-date and connected by joining us on Facebook.
Login to your existing profile and check the status of your applications.
Interior Health Magazine
Learn more about us by reading our monthly magazine: @interiorhealth