Who Are We Looking For?
Nicola Valley Health Centre has an exciting opportunity for a Casual Switchboard Operator/Health Records Clerk to join their team in Merritt B.C! When scheduled position works rotating Days 07:30 to 12:00, 08:00 to 12:00, 10:00 to 14:00, 08:00 to 16:00.
This is a Casual opportunity. Casual means there are no guaranteed hours and work requirements can vary from 0 - 37.5 hours per week.
What Will You Work On?
This position performs a variety of clerical duties with operating the switchboard, patient registration, health records, cashier functions and maintaining supplies, such as:
• Operates switchboard and public address system and other paging device systems;
• Receives and directs patients and visitors;
• Health records – pull and assemble charts/files, identify and process corrections, receive and process requests for release of information, review completed charts for accuracy, maintain statistics and health record tracking systems;
• Responds to and monitors hospital alarms and emergency codes;
• Maintains physician on-call/vacation lists and other hospital staff;
• Patient registration;
• Cashier duties - receiving payments; recording payments in cash journals and/or summary sheets; and issuing change and receipts;
• Maintains supply inventory by ordering stock and non-stock items for acute and residential care;
• Receives, checks and deposits patient valuables for safekeeping;
• Clerical duties - typing, compiling and distributing various documents/lists/schedules, completing data entry for pre-admissions, admissions, discharges, and transfers, opening and redirecting incoming mail, and maintaining filing systems.
What should your application include?
• Completion of Grade 12;
• A current Typing Test of 45 wpm or greater completed within past 48 months from a recognized institution ;
• Your Resume indicating one year’s recent related experience, Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
• A Cover Letter stating your availability.
How Will We Help You Grow?
Interior Health offers excellent benefits and many opportunities to maximize your skills. We are an organization where you have room to grow in a place where life outside of work is just as important to us as it is to you.
Casual employment includes: short-notice, on-call availability; workload coverage during a temporary absence; and/or providing relief coverage in a specific position. Once hired into a casual role, employees are eligible to apply for internal postings including permanent part-time or full time positions. There are many opportunities with Interior Health that begin with casual positions and lead to regular employment.
If you are an experienced Switchboard Operator/Registration Clerk and want to be challenged in your role while working with a solid and experienced team in a wonderful working environment, Apply Today!
Community Profile: The growing city of Merritt is the service centre for the ranch country of the Nicola Valley and provides an excellent base for exploring the many outdoor recreational opportunities in all seasons. It is particularly scenic in the early fall, when rolling fields and forest foliage take on a golden glow. The surrounding Merritt Forest District supports stands of Engelmann spruce, Lodge Pole pine and Sub Alpine fir at higher elevations.
Lifestyle in Thompson Cariboo Shuswap Region
Education, Training & Experience:
• Grade 12,
• One year’s recent related experience, Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
• Completion of a Typing Test 45 wpm or greater, dated within the past 48 months and must be issued from a valid institution only. (non-supervised tests are not accepted)
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to keyboard at 45 w.p.m.
• Knowledge of medical terminology
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Ability to physically carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment.
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.