Interior Health is seeking an experienced and dynamic Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) to join our Mental Health & Substance Use (MHSU) Inpatient Psychiatric Unit team in beautiful Kelowna, B.C.
We are looking for a self-directed, motivated, reliable and flexible mental health-trained nurse (RN/RPN) who enjoys working in a team environment and has a strong desire to learn. If you are experienced in Mental Health or Substance Use, we want to hear from you!
About the Job:
The Registered Nurse/Registered Psychiatric Nurse:
• Functions as a member of the larger Hospitals & Communities Integrated Services (HCIS) or Tertiary Mental Health Services multi-disciplinary care team
• Ensures that persons with serious severe and persistent mental health problems, and/or problematic substance use and/or development disability issues who may or may not be in crisis have access to timely, responsive, evidence based treatment and clinical supports across the continuum of available services
• Provides assessment, treatment, case management, community support, and as required, urgent response to clients who may also have serious functional impairment in the domains of physical health and personal, family, financial, occupational, and social life
• Functions as a primary clinician utilizing a variety of specialized treatment modalities/therapies for individuals, groups of clients and/or their families
RPNs/RNs on the Inpatient Psychiatric Unit work in conjunction with other members of the interdisciplinary team, including psychiatrists, SWs, OTs, psychology, as well as community mental health.
The Inpatient Mental Health and Substance Use program assists in-patients with acute mental health challenges. We are an interdisciplinary team that places a high emphasis on wellness by teaching patients about nutrition, exercise, medications, therapy, relapse prevention and other wellness strategies. We work together with the Community Mental Health and Substance Use programs to ease transition back to the community.
This is a RELIEF FULL-TIME opportunity until October 31, 2023, or the return of the incumbent.
Shifts of work are days and nights 07:00 to 19:00, 19:00 to 07:00.
About this location/unit:
Our program has a dedicated educator to support and mentor Mental Health Nurses and support staff. We are committed to providing Patient and Family Centered Care via highly skilled, knowledgeable and compassionate staff. We have 30 acute care beds, 6 Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit Beds and the shifts are predominantly 12 hours in length.
The MHSU program at KGH has:
• 30 acute care beds
• 6 Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit beds
• Negative pressure rooms
• A contained outdoor patio area
• Group therapy area
• Designated areas for interviewing clients/families
• Individual patient bedrooms
• Laundry facilities
• Fitness/Wellness Room
• Resource Room for patients and families
• 1 bariatric bedroom
• Specialized staff
Surrounded by spectacular mountain scenery, the thriving City of Kelowna is situated on the eastern shores of Lake Okanagan in the South Central Region of British Columbia. It is the largest city in the area and boasts all of the amenities of a major centre including fine dining, unique shops and a vibrant arts and culture scene. Wine tours, golfing, skiing, boating, swimming and camping are among the many
We offer a range of employee benefits and services to support you at every stage of your career:
• Employer paid vacation
• Insurance premiums 100% paid by Interior Health
• Medical Services Plan
• Extended Health Coverage
• Dental Health Coverage
• Pension Plan
Come live, work and play where others only vacation. Make a difference. Love your work. Apply Today!
• Graduation from an approved school of nursing and two years’ recent related experience in a mental health and substance use environment; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Current practicing registration with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.