Interior Health is seeking an experienced and dynamic Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) to join our Mental Health & Substance Use (MHSU) Inpatient Psychiatric Unit team in beautiful Vernon, B.C.
We are looking for a self-directed, motivated, reliable and flexible mental health-trained nurse (RN/RPN) who enjoys working in a team environment and has a strong desire to learn. If you are experienced in Mental Health or Substance Use, we want to hear from you!
About the Job:
The Registered Nurse/Registered Psychiatric Nurse:
• Functions as a member of the larger Hospitals & Communities Integrated Services (HCIS) or Tertiary Mental Health Services multi-disciplinary care team
• Ensures that persons with serious severe and persistent mental health problems, and/or problematic substance use and/or development disability issues who may or may not be in crisis have access to timely, responsive, evidence based treatment and clinical supports across the continuum of available services
• Provides assessment, treatment, case management, community support, and as required, urgent response to clients who may also have serious functional impairment in the domains of physical health and personal, family, financial, occupational, and social life
• Functions as a primary clinician utilizing a variety of specialized treatment modalities/therapies for individuals, groups of clients and/or their families
The Inpatient Mental Health and Substance Use program assists in-patients with acute mental health challenges. We are an interdisciplinary team that places a high emphasis on wellness by teaching patients about nutrition, exercise, medications, therapy, relapse prevention and other wellness strategies. We work together with the Community Mental Health and Substance Use programs to ease transition back to the community.
This is a RELIEF PART-TIME (0.63 FTE) OPPORTUNITY until September 6, 2024, or the return of the incumbent.
Shifts of work are days and nights 07:00 to 19:00 and 19:00 to 07:00.
About this location/unit:
Vernon Jubilee Hospital's Mental Health Department provides services for adolescents, adults and psycho-geriatric patients in the North Okanagan, which includes all areas from Vernon to Revelstoke. There are 17 beds and one secure room and our RNs/RPNs work 8-hour or 12-hour shifts.
Vernon is a major vacation destination for those flocking to the Okanagan Valley and is one of those rare cities where unsurpassed beauty and an abundance of recreational and cultural activities combine to create an exceptional quality of life enjoyed by residents and visitors alike. The rocky, forested headlands and sheltered, sandy bays await you on the east side of Okanagan Lake, just a few miles south of Vernon. This is an area of undulating bench land dominated by stands of Ponderosa pine and Douglas fir, set between the rolling hills of the Thompson Plateau to the west and the peaks of the Monashee Mountains to the east.
We offer a range of employee benefits and services to support you at every stage of your career:
• Employer paid vacation
• Insurance premiums 100% paid by Interior Health
• Medical Services Plan
• Extended Health Coverage
• Dental Health Coverage
• Pension Plan
Come live, work and play where others only vacation. Make a difference. Love your work. Apply Today!
• Graduation from an approved school of nursing and two years’ recent related experience in a mental health and substance use environment; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Current practicing registration with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Effective April 1, 2023, the hourly rate for this position will be: $40.21-$57.78
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.