Who are we looking for?
We are seeking a casual Cardiology Technologist to join our team at Cariboo Memorial Hospital in Williams Lake, BC.
The growing community of Williams Lake is located amidst sparkling lakes and rolling ranchland in the heart of the Cariboo Chilcotin Region of British Columbia. As the largest city in the area, it serves as a business, industrial and service hub for outlying communities and provides employment opportunities in the forestry, mining, agriculture and tourism sectors. Home to the famous Williams Lake Stampede, this former “cowtown” has grown into a vibrant city that offers its residents a comfortable blend of urban living and western charm. Horseback riding, river rafting, fishing and camping are popular recreational pursuits in the area.
About the Role
As the Cardiology Technologist at this busy site, you would work independently within a supportive team environment to perform duties related to cardiology testing. This may typically include techniques relating to Electro Cardiogram (ECG) testing, stress testing, Holter and event Recorders and pacemaker monitoring and other types of diagnostic cardiac equipment.
Typical duties and responsibilities include:
• Explains procedures to prepare patients for testing such as ECG, stress testing, Holter monitoring, and related tests and answers related questions.
• Performs a variety of non-invasive examinations such as ECG, stress testing and Holter and event monitoring and by attaching electrodes to the patient, operating equipment, analyzing and recording relevant data for interpretation by cardiologist and/or internist.
• Monitors patients and scans test strips during cardiograms and stress tests and takes appropriate action upon recognition of cardiac arrhythmias or other abnormalities in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Scans and analyzes ECG, stress, Holter and event monitor, test strips. Selects and assesses appropriate portions of test strips and summarizes for interpretation by medical staff in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Transfers and assigns ECGs in ECG Cardiology Management systems (such as Tracemaster/Intellispace) for interpretation by medical staff.
• Demonstrates ECG testing procedures and operation of related equipment as required.
• Monitors ongoing departmental activity levels and assists fellow staff to meet requests for service.
• Maintains statistics and files completed reports.
• Maintains equipment by cleaning, lubricating and replacing items such as paper rolls, electrodes, and leads.
• Supervises support staff as required by performing duties such as assigning and scheduling work, evaluating performance and providing input into hiring and disciplinary matters. Maintains and verifies accuracy of timekeeping and scheduling documentation as required.
• Provides input into budgetary matters by identifying departmental needs and making recommendations. Monitors expenses for the department to ensure alignment with established approved budget, as required/directed. Assists with billing when required.
• Participates in Quality Management and/or Quality Assurance programs (including LEAN projects/initiatives) by providing information and input to Manager (or designate)
• Participates in the instruction/orientation/competency of staff and/or students by assisting with departmental orientations, in-service presentations, demonstrating procedures and answering questions, as required.
• Maintains and updates own clinical knowledge within area of practice.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
This is a Casual opportunity. Casual means there are no guaranteed hours and work requirements may vary from 0 - 37.5 hours per week. Casual employment includes: short-notice, on-call availability; workload coverage during a temporary absence; and/or providing relief coverage in a specific position. Once hired into a casual role, employees are eligible to apply for internal postings including permanent and relief part-time or full time positions.
There are many opportunities with Interior Health that begin with casual positions and lead to regular employment.
If you are passionate about making a difference, apply today and join our talented and committed team in Williams Lake!
Education, Training, and Experience:
Completion of a Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists recognized Diploma program in Cardiology Technology plus two years’ recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Current certification with the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists and eligible for membership with the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists (CSCT).
Skills and Abilities:
Teaching: Ability to teach clients and others both one-on-one and in groups.
Knowledge Integration: Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff and the members of the interdisciplinary team using, oral written and computer communication means. Demonstrated ability to effectively resolve conflict.
Critical Thinking: Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve and make decisions effectively. Applies the problem solving process demonstrating critical thinking and decision making skills using a systems approach.
Management: Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and establish priorities. Manages time and resources, implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team, supervises responsibilities of others, and collaborates across disciplines.
Leadership: Promotes staff morale, engagement, and risk-taking. Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovations, implementation of IH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self and others.
Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
Equipment: Demonstrated computer skills including the use of Meditech and Windows based programs. Demonstrated data analysis skills including appropriate data analysis and reporting tools. Demonstrated ability in the use of e-mail and word processing. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.