Interior Health is seeking a casual Coordinator, Tertiary Mental Health and Addictions to join the Mental Health team at Hillside Centre in Kamloops, B.C.
What will you work on?
The Coordinator, Tertiary Mental Health and Addictions is responsible and accountable for the patient placement and bed utilization for Interior Health Tertiary Mental Health and Substance Use Services at Hillside; this includes receiving and processing request for beds from neighboring health authorities such as PHSA, Northern Health, Vancouver Coastal and including LTC.
The position is also responsible for access to IHA beds at the Tier 5 and Tier 4 treatment centres. The focus is to ensure quality of patient care by providing timely access and appropriate patient placement through efficient and effective utilization of resources.
Shift types are days and shift times are from 08:30 to 16:30 hours.
Some Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Facilitates patient access to funded MHSU resources consistent with Tertiary Mental Health and addictions wide utilization problem solving. Develops a system throughout IH Mental Health and Addictions that standardizes the referral, admission, ongoing treatment planning, and discharge for Tertiary beds mainly within IHA, while finding beds requested from PHSA, Northern Health, Vancouver Coastal Health and including LTC.
2. Organizes and chairs the weekly IH Screening Committee for access to Treatment Centres; collaborates with colleagues, psychiatrists, and clinicians for appropriate process. Negotiates with external agencies regarding patient placement and utilization of resources. Develops indicators, standards, practices, policies and procedures.
3. Recommends alternate level of care and acts as a source to psychiatrists for patients and clients requiring Tier 4 or 5 addictions treatment and those not requiring Tertiary mental health care.
4. Monitors appropriateness of admission and length of stay. Once physicians deem the patient fit for discharge, the responsibility falls back on to this role to arrange placement and transfer.
5. Facilitates a process to manage issues arising from utilization review and follows process to refer potentially contentious cases to Clinical Operations Director or designate.
6. Collaborates with Team Leader, Manager and other disciplines to identify and recommend resources required to expedite discharge planning to an alternate level of care for patients who have completed the course of care in the current placement.
7. Assists in the education of staff by providing orientation and training when required.
8. Collaborates with Medical Staff, Clinical Program Leaders, and other disciplines to develop and coordinate the admission process including the PICU process and expedited admissions.
9. Participates in the ongoing and current utilization review education around Tertiary bed utilization and access for physicians, clinical staff, and others.
10. Contributes to the safe and healthy workplace by ongoing maintenance of own competence in employer identified core programs such as Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, Code White and Back Program.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
How will you create an impact?
Joining our IH team will allow you to challenge yourself professionally while enjoying all the personal pursuits available to you within this fantastic community.
Reasons to Apply at Interior Health... What we can do for you
We offer an exceptional employer-paid benefits package, recognition of previous experience in determining starting salary, and generous vacation entitlement after your first year of employment.
We offer a work environment conducive to growth and development of strong clinical skills. The opportunity to have a balanced lifestyle that allows you to maintain the quality of life you desire.
Come live, work and play where others only vacation. Make a difference. Love your work. Apply today!
Education, Training and Experience:
Master’s Degree in a Behavioural/Social Science field relevant to the position
A minimum of three years in the last five years of tertiary MHSU experience including two years facilitation experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
Current practicing registration in a professional association relevant to the degree
Current valid BC Driver’s License
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.