Who Are We Looking For?
Do you have front-line clerical experience and wish to work at the leading edge of healthcare to maximize your skills and be part of a dynamic team? South Okanagan General Hospital has an exciting opportunity for a Casual Patient Registration/Cashier/Health Records Clerk in Oliver B.C.! When scheduled this position works rotating Days & Evenings - 07:00 to 15:00, 08:00 to 16:00, 16:00 to 20:00, 12:00 to 20:00.
This is a Casual opportunity. Casual means there are no guaranteed hours and work requirements can vary from 0 - 37.5 hours per week.
What Will You Work On?
This position performs clerical and patient registration duties such as:
• Completes Patient Registration documentation for the admission of patients by interviewing patients, relatives or friends to obtain personal information and proof of eligibility;
• Explains Admission form, eligibility policies, room differentials and obtains signatures on forms as required;
• Scheduling, booking and communicating appointment information to staff, patients, physicians' offices and/or nursing units;
• Requisitions diagnostic tests and procedures;
• Receiving payments for a variety of patient bills and sundry accounts, balances daily cash, prepare bank deposits and cash reports, maintain petty cash accounts;
• Performs accounts receivable duties, receiving and inputting charges/payments, posting billing information and issuing change and receipts;
• Identifies available bed booking options and communicates these options;
• Receives and records patient valuables for safekeeping;
• Assembles charts/files, identifies and processes corrections in medical records, release of information, calculating and maintaining statistics, entering information into appropriate registries and databases;
• Retrieves, organizes and maintains filing systems for patient records, reports, paper and electronic documentation;
• Reviews admission/discharge forms or reports for correct insurance classification
• Performs hospital switchboard duties as required;
• Provides information and directions to visitors and handles telephone inquiries such as patient room numbers and visiting hours;
• Produces a variety of correspondence including letters, memoranda, medical reports, forms, medical billings from rough draft, general instruction and/or recording devises;
• Receives, opens and redirects the hospital’s incoming mail;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
What should your application include?
• Completion of Grade 12
• A current Typing Test of 45 wpm or greater completed within past 48 months from a recognized institution
• Proof of Knowledge of a Medical Terminology;
• Your Resume indicating two year’s recent related experience, Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
• A Cover Letter stating your availability to start in a new position and on-call, casual work (i.e. days of the week);
How Will We Help You Grow?
Interior Health offers many opportunities to maximize your skills. We are an organization where you have room to grow in a place where life outside of work is just as important to us as it is to you.
Casual employment includes: short-notice, on-call availability; workload coverage during a temporary absence; and/or providing relief coverage in a specific position. Once hired into a casual role, employees are eligible to apply for internal postings including permanent part-time or full time positions. There are many opportunities with Interior Health that begin with casual positions and lead to regular employment.
If you are an experienced Patient Registration Clerk and want to be challenged in your role while working with a solid and experienced team in a wonderful working environment, Apply Today!
Community Profile: Oliver is a small agricultural community known as the "Wine Capital of Canada". The area's natural attractions continue to draw people for bird watching water activities, hiking, mountain biking, golf and winter activities. Oliver is only miles away from the neighbouring town of Osoyoos which is a customs point on the Canada-US border. Osoyoos is location on Osoyoos Lake and draws vacationers for water activities, golf, hiking and cycling in summer and downhill skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in winter.
Education, Training & Experience:
• Grade 12
• Two years; recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
• Completion of a Typing Test at 45 wpm dated within the past 48 months and must be issued from a valid institution only. (NON-SUPERVISED TESTS ARE NOT ACCEPTED)
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to keyboard at 45 wpm.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.