Interior Health is looking for a Student – Capital Planning to join our friendly Capital Planning and Projects team. This position is based in Kelowna, Penticton or Vernon B.C.
Our IH Capital Planning and Projects team consists of our Chief Project Officer, 3 Directors, 3 Senior PM’s, 11 PM’s, 9 Clinical Leads/Advisors, as well as 8 Equipment, 7 Procurement, 2 Finance, 1 Security and 2 Information Technology Specialists.
What will you work on?
Working with an IH Project Planner / Project Manager you will:
- Attend project initiation meetings to determine key stakeholders, key milestones and potential risks to the project
- Develop project scope
- Assist procurement team with development of procurement documents and selection
- Work with the external consultants including engineers to develop project schedules
- Send out meeting invitations to key stakeholders
- Develop Functional Programs, Schedule of Accommodations and Business Plans
- Assist the Design Team to ensure all needed information is available and all key input is provided in a timely manner from the key stakeholders
- Monitor schedule to ensure completion of key design milestones
- Monitor project budget and provide monthly status updates
- Consult with Clinical Leads / PM’s on the critical steps and planning that is required to decant spaces in preparation for renovations and on preparing the area to open
- Consult with our Infection Control Specialist on procedures that are required to ensure construction areas are safe for the surrounding healthcare spaces
- Work with our equipment team to ensure all equipment will fit into the spaces and the necessary infrastructure is provided
- Work with IT, Workplace Health and Safety and Security specialists to ensure there criteria is incorporated into the design
How will we help you grow?
We provide you with an orientation customized to meet your needs, and immediate support and access from excellent colleagues. You will have access to work in an interdisciplinary environment where patients are at the centre of care. We also offer continuous education opportunities.
This position can be offered as either a four month or eight month term. If four months, you will either focus on working with the Planning Team developing project scope, functional programs, schedule of accommodations and concept plans or with the Project Management Team working on the design, construction and building commissioning of a project.
It will offer a flexible work environment with either working from home (once oriented and the Planner / PM is confident with this), working at Royal Inland Hospital CPP offices in Kamloops or attending project locations throughout IH. Typical hours are 8:00-4:00 Mon – Fri however these may fluctuate at times especially when traveling. Potential start date is Jan 4, 2023.
Reasons to Apply at Interior Health... What we can do for you
IH will offer you a unique work experience assisting in the project management/coordination of healthcare facility planning, design, construction projects and possibly operational commissioning (preparing the area/site to open). Because we have a large team and many projects at different levels of completion, you will get exposure to all these phases. As well, Healthcare is a special niche and is known to be more challenging to design and construct than typical commercial and residential projects. You will get the opportunity to work with Planning Specialists, Design Teams including Architects, Engineers, IT, Security, Equipment and Clinical Specialists as well as front line staff/physicians. You will get exposure to BC building codes, Canadian Standards Association for Healthcare, Elder Friendly design and BC Disability Codes among others.
For a challenging, growth-oriented career in a beautiful natural setting where balanced lifestyle choices abound, come to Interior Health and join our quest to set new standards of excellence in the delivery of health services in the Province of B.C.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Min 3rd or 4th year Engineering Student or 3rd of 4th year degree with a Project Management emphasis (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Structural and Biomedical Engineering Degree program with Project Management Major / Certification)
- Valid driver’s license and comfort in driving in all weather conditions
- Overnight and last minute unscheduled travel. Locations of travel may be throughout the Interior Health region
- Motivated to work and learn in a fast-paced work environment
- Able to effectively use MS excel, Word, and general computer applications; will be expected to learn and utilize Blue Beam software
- Passion for risk mitigation and problem solving
- Experience in electrical, mechanical, medical or other technical components such as HVAC, drafting, etc.
- Construction site experience
- Able to assist with occasional heavy lifting
- Able to read and analyse multiple project related documents to assist PM’s in their role
- Assimilate information from different sources to complete the task on hand
- Student leadership experience (considered an asset)
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.