At Interior Health, we are all about giving people room to grow, room to contribute, room to influence change, room to make a significant, personal contribution. We have an exciting permanent full time opportunity for an experienced Senior Internal Auditor with a clinical background to join the Interior Health team.
The location for this position is flexible within the Interior Health region, preference will be given to candidates located within the Okanagan Valley.
As this is a regional role, periodic multi-day travel will be required.
How will you create an impact?
Joining our IH team will allow you to challenge yourself professionally while enjoying all the personal pursuits available to you within our fantastic region.
Personally and professionally, you will be encouraged to develop within a dynamic and innovative organization.
Utilizing your strategic thinking and knowledge will promote health system improvements and learnings to improve health care services and ultimately the well-being of residents of BC’s Interior region.
Who are we looking for?
Ideally suited to a master’s prepared clinician with a keen interest in assessing the performance of clinical operations as well as a commitment to promote quality standards of excellence, and who can:
• Enthusiastically build and maintain relationships and effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
• Plan and execute efficient audits using project management and data analysis skills in a multi-assignment environment.
• Recognize and critically analyze issues, identify control gaps and provide insightful and practical recommendations.
• Apply a systematic and disciplined audit approach with an interest in the application of International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards) and Institute of Internal Auditors Code of Ethics. Financial support will be provided to obtain the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designation.
• Leverage advanced internal audit techniques and concepts with knowledge of risk, governance and control frameworks (COSO, COBIT etc).
• Contribute to annual organizational risk assessments, department planning and reporting and assist with Safe Reporting program activities.
• Use discretion and tact in handling confidential and sensitive information and exercise sound professional judgement regarding interpretation of issues and conflicting requirements.
• Use Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word and Excel) at an intermediate level.
What will you work on?
Reporting to the Corporate Director, Internal Audit, with support from subject area experts, you will perform a variety of risk-based audits across all health sectors (acute care, long-term care, community care, mental health and substance use, primary care etc) focused on clinical and administrative practices/process as well as general performance/compliance audit projects.
You enthusiastically enjoy building and maintaining relationships and have effective oral and written communication skills. Your creative thinking and knowledge of current auditing techniques will contribute to risk based assurance and consulting activities that are insightful, proactive and future focused resulting in the promotion of organizational improvements.
As a key team member, you will participate in annual organizational risk assessments and departmental planning and reporting, investigations as required and assist with Safe Reporting program activities.
Reasons to Apply at Interior Health... What we can do for you
An attractive remuneration package and excellent career prospects awaits the right candidate. In addition to a competitive wage, we offer Medical, Dental and Extended Health coverage and paid annual vacation starting at 4 weeks (20 days) up to a maximum of 7 weeks (35 days). We also offer an attractive defined employee pension plan, disability and life insurance, and options for maternity &/or paternity leave top-up.
Interior Health offers work-life balance with competitive wages, excellent employee benefits, professional development and educational leave in a larger-than-life landscape and four seasons playground. Make Interior Health your next best career destination!
If this sounds like a perfect opportunity for you, apply today!
Education, Training, and Experience:
• A minimum level of education equivalent to an undergraduate degree plus a professional designation as a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), health professional designation such a Registered Nurse (RN), or a Masters in Business Administration or Health Administration combined with a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), and/or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), project management (PMI), or other relevant specialized designation.
• Five to seven years of recent, related assurance, process improvement, financial, or operational experience. Previous public sector, change management, corporate policy development, project management, investigative, and/or labour relations experience and/or training is an asset.
• Advanced knowledge of internal control frameworks, Internal Audit standards and processes and relevant legislation, including the Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Act and regulations. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Knowledge of automated techniques used in the performance of audit testing.
Skills and Abilities:
• Applied Knowledge Competency Level as described in the Institute of Internal Auditor’s Competency Framework in the four quadrants of:
o Professionalism (authority, credibility and ethical conduct)
o Performance (plan and perform internal audit engagements in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditing’s Standards),
o Environment (identify and address the risks specific to the healthcare industry); and,
o Leadership and Communication (providing strategic direction, communicate effectively; maintain relationships and management internal audit staff and processes).
• Demonstrate strong ability to provide service by adjusting approaches to reflect developmental level and cultural differences of the clients.
• Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines in an environment subject to constantly changing priorities.
• Strong ability to explain accountability, assurance, business, and financial concepts to a non-technical audience. Demonstrate and apply project management, creative and innovative problem solving, and analytical skills to identify risks, process improvement opportunities, and present mitigating solutions. Demonstrate the ability to learn new skills beyond the required core discipline.
• Demonstrate the ability to productively use spreadsheet, word processing, database, presentation, project, process mapping and data analytics applications.
• Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
• Based on project requirements, be available for multi-day overnight travel.
Starting salary is approximately from $77,822 to $97,200 and will be based on education, training and experience.
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.