Who are we looking for?
Are you an excellent team player who excels in a fast-paced environment? We are seeking two Communications Consultant to join our team!
These are regional postings (not Kelowna based). One is for IH South and the other is for IH North. The worksite location for this position is flexible anywhere within our beautiful Interior Health region so come love where you live, work and play.
What will you work on?
The Communications Consultant works closely with Interior Health (IH) leaders to develop strategic communications that inform and engage large, IH-wide audiences including employees, medical staff, and volunteers, as well as external audiences.
The Consultant is responsible for developing, managing, and delivering high quality, timely communication content and plans for an assigned client group. The Consultant develops and maintains collaborative relationships with the internal and external stakeholders as well as the Communications team in order to meet their client(s)’ needs in a manner that supports the business objectives and reflects the IH values and goals.
Additionally, the Consultant works collaboratively with Portfolio members, contributing his/her particular expertise and skills as required, in support of communication content and plans assigned to other Specialists.
The position requires a high-energy, self-directed, deadline-oriented individual with exceptional communication skills. Tact, discretion, teamwork, and excellent customer service skills are imperative.
Some Key Duties may include:
• Acts as a strategic advisor to an assigned client group of IH leaders or portfolios. Works to understand their communication needs and provide guidance on effective communications strategies that will help them inform their audience, respond to issues, and articulate their message.
• Proactively supports the development, implementation, and evaluation of IH-wide communication plans for projects and initiatives. Works in partnership with program and department leads, to ensure their programs, initiatives, and services are effectively communicated to diverse internal and external audiences as required.
• Utilizes strong presentation and content development skills to create clear, timely communication deliverables, includuing: memos, promotions, news releases, correspondence, speaking notes, newsletters, or online content as assigned or to meet client(s)’ needs.
• Identifies opportunities for improved two-way communication and methods for IH to most effectively share information with its employees and medical staff as well as external audiences.
• Seeks out opportunities to engage with stakeholders, to increase own knowledge and understanding of context, perspective, pressures; shares learnings with Portfolio team; considers specific needs of identified audiences, including First Nations, rural communities, patients/clients, partners, community leaders, etc.
• As a member of the Communications Portfolio, participates in the development or delivery of various communications-related resources made available to senior management, directors, staff, and physicians.
• Provides on-call (after hours) coverage according to Portfolio schedule.
• Collaborates with other Portfolio members, as required, to coordinate and execute assigned tasks, ensuring that service delivery is seamless for clients and deadlines are met.
• Seeks out opportunities to increase technical communications and engagement skills and awareness of best practices, industry standards, etc., and to share key learnings with Portfolio.
• Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
How will we help you grow?
Interior Health offers excellent benefits and many opportunities to maximize your skills. We are an organization where you have room to grow in a place where life outside of work is just as important to us as it is to you.
If you want to be challenged in your role while working with a solid and experienced team in a wonderful working environment, apply today!
Education, Training, and Experience
• A Bachelor’s degree specializing in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field.
• A minimum of 5 years or recent, related experience.
• An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, with demonstrated results in communications will also be considered.
• Previous experience in employee or corporate communications and knowledge of the healthcare operating environment are an asset.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work as part of a collaborative, high performance team.
• Demonstrated understanding of communications, marketing and public or media relations best practices.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication and proof-reading skills.
• Ability to develop, implement, and evaluate strategic, operational, and issues management-related communication.
• Ability to effectively work with senior leaders and other stakeholders in a wide variety of settings across the organization.
• Strong understanding of political and health care environment, including local and regional councils and leadership structures in British Columbia.
• Creative and skilled in presenting content visually through various media (websites, social media, presentations, videos, print, etc.)
• Ability to set priorities and be results-oriented.
• Ability to remain calm, alert, and high functioning under stressful situations.
• Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact, and diplomacy.
• Problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
• Advanced computer skills.
• Ability to carry out the duties of the position with a high degree of ethical and professional behaviour.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Starting salary is approximately from $65,254 to $73,410 and will be based on education, training and experience
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.