Interior Health is seeking Manager, Support Services to join our vibrant team in Nelson B.C! If you are interested in expanding your career opportunities and develop your leadership skills, this is the position for you! This is a multi-site position with travel throughout the Central Kootenays.
About the Role:
The Manager, Support Services is responsible for the overall planning, organization, management, and evaluation of all functions (including staffing, supplies, and operating budgets) in Housekeeping and Food Service for assigned Interior Health (IH) sites.
The Manager will also work closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the delivery of Laundry Services aligns with IH expectations and is supported where applicable by programs within the Manager’s areas of responsibility.
The Manager works in close collaboration with local Directors, Managers, Business Support Representatives, and other departments within IH.
The Manager, Support Services is responsible for fostering a positive working culture within the areas of responsibility, ensuring IH is providing services that meet the needs of stakeholders.
This is a Permanent, Full-Time position. Hours of work are Monday to Friday and shifts times are 08:00 to 16:00.
This position requires travel. Use of a personal vehicle may be required.
Some Key Duties may include:
• Provides management, leadership, and supervision to staff in line with established directives and policies relating to the mission and goals of the organization and programs. Develops procedures to guide staff in carrying out their duties.
• Hires, appraises, and disciplines staff, up to and including termination.
• Plans, directs, and participates in orientation and on-going education programs for in-house personnel as well as students from recognized training programs/educational institutions, as required.
• Authorizes vacation, overtime, and paid and unpaid leave.
• Covers for other Managers and Coordinators within the Support Services portfolio during leaves or vacations.
• Labour relations responsibilities include involvement with the grievance process up to and including settlement; updating, negotiating, and implementing strike contingency plans including essential staffing levels; Step 3 Labour Management meetings; and third party hearings as required. Works in conjunction with Human Resources in the interpretation of collective agreements.
• Plans the approved annual department budgets and is responsible for ongoing adherence to budget objectives for supplies, staffing, and equipment.
• Establishes and maintains a quality assurance program for services and employs the necessary audit procedures that will measure the effectiveness and efficiency of those services.
• Administers policies and standards in accordance with the regulations of the Ministry of Health and local authorities as they pertain to the delivery of department services.
• Coordinates the regular ordering of supplies and establishes and maintains inventory control systems.
• Ensures optimal health and safety standards are met for the areas of responsibility.
• Ensures revenue services are operated in a cost-effective manner.
• Coordinates the attendance enhancement program at designated sites.
• On an on-going basis, plans, implements, and evaluates programs related to Food and Housekeeping Services, where applicable.
• Participates on regional, portfolio, and provincial Food Service committees, as required.
• Participates in the process related to awarding of regional contacts pertaining to the areas of responsibility. May deal directly with suppliers either on the open market or by tender contract and group purchasing in accordance with IH policies and procedures.
• Participates in ongoing product evaluation and cost comparison as part of the product and service standardization process.
• Responsible for the ongoing development, sustainability, and evaluation of the Housekeeping Best Practice Audit program within the assigned region. Coordinates ongoing training and education of staff.
• Responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of Food and Housekeeping programs and initiatives (local, regional, or provincial) in the assigned region, utilizing best practice standards to achieve customer-focused and quality service.
• Contributes to the Management Team of each facility by providing information, advice, input, and leadership with respect to Food and Housekeeping Services. Supports and promotes the mission, philosophy, and strategic direction of IH.
• Undertakes projects to ensure efficient, safe, and high quality services are delivered to clients/ residents and implements and monitors quality feedback. Develops and utilizes information systems which collect, collate, and summarize data for review and recommendation.
• Keeps abreast of trends and developments in the Support Services industries.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Some of the Benefits of joining Interior Health:
An attractive remuneration package and excellent career prospects awaits the right candidate. In addition to a competitive wage, we offer Medical, Dental and Extended Health coverage and paid annual vacation starting at 4 weeks (20 days) up to a maximum of 7 weeks (35 days). We also offer an attractive defined employee pension plan, disability and life insurance, and options for maternity &/or paternity leave top-up.
Interior Health strives to create an environment where you enjoy the work you do, the place where you work, and the people around you. Together, we create great workplaces.
Community Profile: Surrounded by the rugged Selkirk Mountains, Nelson sits on the shores of the West Arm of Kootenay Lake. Picturesque geography and storybook charm are combined with cosmopolitan sophistication. Whether gliding through the incredible powder at Whitewater Ski Resort, catching a 25 pound rainbow trout on Kootenay Lake or simply enjoying a leisurely day of shopping along historic Baker Street, Nelson is a beautiful place to raise a family. But don't take our word for it, have a look for yourself.
Education, Training, and Experience
• A certificate or diploma in a related field.
• Five years of recent, related experience in a housekeeping and/or food service management position, preferably in a healthcare environment.
• Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and work experience.
• Membership in the Canadian Society of Nutrition Management (CSNM) or other organization related to the fields.
Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to plan, consolidate, and deliver high quality services in a cost-efficient, customer-focused manner.
• Must demonstrate a high degree of skill in negotiating, problem-solving, conflict management, and communications.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Ability to supervise.
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment, including knowledge of computerized systems and programs.
• Valid BC Driver’s License.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
*Starting salary is approximately $77,000-$87,500 and will be based on education, training and experience.
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.