East Kootenay Regional Hospital in Cranbrook has a Registered Nurse Employee Education Opportunity for the Accelerated Perinatal (AWHONN) Nursing Speciality Program. This in-house program uses the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN) curriculum and is coordinated by the Interior Health Maternal, Newborn, Child and Youth Network. This Position Starts December 2022
The Accelerated Perinatal Education program has three (3) components:
• Online Theory Modules: Total 51 hours for module completion (unpaid study hours)
• Orientation and In-Person Simulations: Total 78.75 hours (10.5 days x 7.5 hours) (Location to be determined).
• Clinical Practicum Hours: Total 264 hours (20 x 11 hour shifts at the tertiary site of Kelowna or Kamloops and 4 x 11 hour shifts in Cranbrook).
**Participation in Clinical Practicum and Education Opportunity is conditional upon completion of Online Theory Modules.
As per the NBA Article 35.03, upon successful completion of the education program, an employee must return to, or post into a regular position in the area of nursing applicable to the Perinatal education for a minimum of 18 months. If no regular position is available, the employer will create a regular relief line equivalent to the employee's original FTE. For casual employees, FTE will be determined on number of hours in previous year or 0.5 FTE whichever is greater. Employee will work in a relief line until the employee can secure regular employment.
Education, Training and Experience:
• Graduation from an approved School of Nursing with current practicing registration with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNM).
Skills and Abilities:
• Assessment and Intervention – Demonstrated ability to complete initial and ongoing client assessments (clinical and diagnostic reasoning) and provide nursing care through appropriate/ prescribed technical, therapeutic, safety type interventions.
• Communication – Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with the clients, families, the public, medical staff and the members of the interdisciplinary team using verbal, written and computer communication means.
• Critical Thinking – Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve effectively.
• Human Caring and Relationship Centered Practice – Ability to promote client-focused care that demonstrates care for and with clients and significant others, sensitive to diverse cultures and preferences, client advocacy and social justice concerns.
• Teaching – Ability to transmit information intended to instruct clients and others about topics essential to health care and well-being.
• Management – Manages time and resources, implementing activities to promote cooperation among relevant others, collaboration across disciplines and related activities.
• Leadership – Promotes staff morale, cooperation, assertiveness and risk-taking, creative planning for change and innovations, implementation of IH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self.
• Knowledge Integration – Using factual information, prior learning and basic principles and procedures to support decisions and actions with relevant research-based evidence. Integrates best practice from nursing and health-related disciplines and the humanities, arts and sciences disciplines into professional practice.
• Ability to operate related equipment including relevant computer applications.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.