The Kelowna General Hospital is seeking Casual Pharmacy Assistants to join their team.
Once hired into a casual role, employees are eligible to apply for internal postings including permanent part-time or full time positions. There are many opportunities with Interior Health that begin with casual positions and lead to regular employment.
As the Pharmacy Assistant you will work under the close supervision of a Pharmacist or Pharmacy Technician, assists with various aspects of the Pharmacy Department Operations. Performs packaging and distribution of unit dose medications, as well as specified inventory control and statistical reporting activities and other related clerical functions.
Shifts are rotating days & evenings: 08:00 to 16:00, 11:30 to 19:30, 15:00 to 23:00, 13:00 to 21:00.
SOME TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Answers telephones, responding to routine inquiries, re-directing calls and/or taking messages in accordance with the established procedures. Performs other related clerical functions.
2. Attends to the dispensary counter, providing general information and direction, issuing completed medication orders (excluding outpatient orders such as Chemotherapy, Home IV, etc.) in accordance with established procedures.
3. Picks interim dose medications for inspection by the Pharmacist or Pharmacy Technician.
4. Assembles unit dose and multi-dose medications as indicated by the refill lists.
5. Assembles medications for Centralized Intravenous Admixture (CIVA) preparation by performing duties such as gathering medications and supplies in accordance with established procedures.
6. Porters interim doses and unit dose cart exchanges to the Nursing Units, returning any unused medications to Pharmacy.
7. Stocks Automated Dispensing Cabinets using bar codes in accordance with established procedures.
8. Fills requisitions for and delivers wardstock medications to Nursing Units in accordance with established procedures; maintains records of all transactions.
9. Pre-packages unit dose medications by operating the Automatic Tablet Counting/Packaging Machine. Cleans and maintains the Automatic Tablet Counting machine by refilling tablet canisters, replacing printer ribbons and replenishing paper supplies as required.
10. Boxes packaged medications intended for off-site facilities in accordance with established procedures for distribution.
11. Maintains workload and utilization statistics in accordance with established procedures.
12. Assists with orientation and training of new staff and students by performing duties such as demonstrating work procedures, demonstrating use of equipment and providing related information.
13. Maintains established levels of inventory in the Pharmacy by requisitioning medications and supplies in accordance with established procedures.
14. Replenishes Night Cupboard Stock in accordance with the established procedures. Prepares and issues wardstock orders as needed.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned.
How Will You Create Impact?
Join our team as we build clinical pharmacy practice across Interior Health through innovation, progression, and dedication! At Interior Health we provide room-to-grow and the opportunity to make a significant, personal contribution to the lives of others.
How will we help you grow?
We provide you with an orientation customized to meet your needs, and immediate support and access from excellent colleagues. You will have access to work in an interdisciplinary environment where patients are at the centre of care. We also offer continuous education opportunities.
Reasons to Apply at Interior Health... What we can do for you
Interior Health strives to create an environment where you enjoy the work you do, the place where you work, and the people around you. As a member of the Interior Health (IH) team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work while maintaining a balanced lifestyle. Our focus is on giving people room to grow, to make an impact in the lives of others.
Grade 12, graduation from a recognized Pharmacy Assistant course plus one year's recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to operate related equipment.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to type.
• Ability to organize work.
Please submit a copy of your cover letter as well as your resume (or CV) with your application.
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with internal career exploration, send your question via email to AboriginalEmployment@interiorhealth.ca to be redirected to the Employment Advisor. We invite applicants to self-identify as First nations, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.