Medical Laboratory Technologist Chemistry Vernon Jubilee Hospital (Casual)
Reference Code: 00506024
|Position Summary |
Vernon Jubilee Hospital is seeking a casual Medical Laboratory Technologist to join our team.
Once hired into a casual role, employees are eligible to apply for internal postings including permanent part-time or full time positions. There are many opportunities with Interior Health that begin with temporary relief positions and lead to regular employment
The Vernon Jubilee Hospital (VJH) is in the Okanagan health service area and responsible for providing core medical and surgical specialty services to patients throughout its service area. VJH offers services including core physician specialties, 24 hour emergency and trauma services, acute and obstetrical care.
Vernon Jubilee Hospital Laboratory pprovides safe, convenient, respectful and accessible laboratory outpatient services to its patients. It operates 24 hours/7 days a week; approximately 25 Laboratory Assistants and 30 Laboratory Technologists are employed; and Chemistry, Hematology and Transfusion Medicine function as a core lab with fully rotating technologists. Technologists have the opportunity to work in more than one section of the Laboratory and as a result maintain skills in all disciplines of laboratory work.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collects and receives a variety of specimens by methods such as reviewing requirements on requisitions, collecting blood and other specimens from clients.
• Provides verbal or written instructions for collection of specimens by others.
• Prepares specimens and performs routine and/or complex laboratory tests.
• Sets up, calibrates and maintains a variety of laboratory instruments.
• Performs and evaluates quality control within assigned area.
• Prepares a variety of solutions, reagents, standards and controls.
• Prepares specimens for transport to other facilities.
• Maintains necessary and accurate records.
• Participates in departmental training programs in individual or all sections of the lab (such as, microbiology, histology, cytology, etc.) with a view to learning new/existing tests and procedures.
• Maintains a clean and safe work area.
For a challenging, growth-oriented career in a beautiful natural setting where balanced lifestyle choices abound, come to Interior Health and join our quest to set new standards of excellence in the delivery of health services in the Province of BC.
Graduation from an approved Medical Laboratory Science Program.
Current certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) and eligible for membership with the BC Society of Laboratory Sciences (BCSLS) and/or CSMLS.
One (1) year recent related experience.
** Please include copies of your Medical Laboratory Science Program certification and your 2013 CSMLS registration with your online application.
By being hired into one of our Laboratory jobs at Interior Health Authority, you’ll be a key member of the Interior Health Authority team. Professionals in Laboratory careers come from a variety of backgrounds, bringing an assortment of knowledge and skills to every area of our business. Please click on your desired Laboratory job below to learn more about the exact qualifications.
A job in Laboratory at Interior Health Authority may be waiting for you!